Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Justin Morneau wins AL MVP

[ QUOTE ]
woohoo, Canada has the best player in the NBA and now the best player in the AL. Can't wait for Vanderjagt to be named NFL MVP. Biakabutaka had a chance until he blew out his knee half way through his rookie season. Maybe, Andy Fantuz or Jesse Lumsden will win one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vanderjadt is having a brutal year. If he wasnt a CDN it would be a good selection for many.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:24 PM

Obviously, I meant fuzzy thinking isn't limited to poker.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 PM

I'm surprised that Santana didn't get more love from the voters. He won the pitching equivalent of the triple crown, and was the go-to guy once again for them, especially throughout the second half. Twins fans can correct me, but I would rank the Twins candidates as Santana, Mauer, then Morneau, with Santana easily top 3 in the AL.

I don't think Jeter was hands down the most valued player this year. Obviously the numbers are important, and VORP is a decent stat to compare players' value across different positions, but I like to imagine the effect of an injury on the team's success. Santana going down for the year would be more of a loss than Jeter (or Morneau) getting injured. I actually think Jeter's case was helped with half the Yankees lineup getting banged up with injuries, since it increased his relative contribution to the team's success.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of grilling did they do, because honestly I don't see amount of grilling to be unfair,

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuff like asking the guy if he remembered what Jeter did in the 2nd game of the doubleheader of the 5 game sweep in Boston in August ("that was the most important game of the YEAR for the Yankees at that point"), and then slamming him when he admitted he didn't know ("as a voter, you gotta KNOW these things").

That's where I wanted to jump in and say, "Yeah, he was 1 for 6 with an opposite field slice shot. And his OPS was .700 in that series."

But Cowley's rationale was idiotic and hypocritical. He'd say numbers weren't as important as contributing to a playoff team (he was quite proud that he put A-Rod 5th on his ballot in 2003), but then said he placed Dye and Ortiz ahead of Jeter because of their numbers. The whole thing was ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
HE NEEDS HIS VOTING PRIVLEDGES REVOKED

[/ QUOTE ]

After listening to him righteously stammer, I agree.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuff like asking the guy if he remembered what Jeter did in the 2nd game of the doubleheader of the 5 game sweep in Boston in August ("that was the most important game of the YEAR for the Yankees at that point"), and then slamming him when he admitted he didn't know ("as a voter, you gotta KNOW these things").

[/ QUOTE ]

ok that is ridiculous

[ QUOTE ]
That's where I wanted to jump in and say, "Yeah, he was 1 for 6 with an opposite field slice shot. And his OPS was .700 in that series."

[/ QUOTE ]

that is really funny given the question

[ QUOTE ]
But Cowley's rationale was idiotic and hypocritical. He'd say numbers weren't as important as contributing to a playoff team (he was quite proud that he put A-Rod 5th on his ballot in 2003), but then said he placed Dye and Ortiz ahead of Jeter because of their numbers. The whole thing was ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

even better
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was on SNY after that, and he said that AL pitchers and catchers told him that Robinson Cano was considered more "dangerous" than Jeter (or something like that, I don't recall correctly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he said that on M&TMD, too. It seemed very important to him, as he kept going back to it when cornered. Never did he mention Jeter's lack of power or defensive range as possible reasons for his low position on his ballot. Just the same old "if you took Jeter off the Yankees, I think they still make the playoffs easily" crap.

[ QUOTE ]
Seems he doesn't have many friends in Toronto either

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hilarious.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I heard on ESPN News that one writer had Jeter 6th. I really want to know who.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could he not vote for one of his own???

Old 11-22-2006, 05:01 PM

Most of Cowley's ballot:

1. Morneau
2. Dye
3. Santana
4. Mauer
5. Ortiz
6. Jeter
10. Pierzynski

I've got a feeling he may not be voting next year. From today's NY Post is this blurb:

[ QUOTE ]
In 2003, when he worked for the Daily Southtown, Cowley left Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells off his ballot. Chicago chapter chairman Paul Sullivan suspended Cowley from voting the following year because he didn't think Cowley took the voting seriously and "embarrassed" the Chicago chapter.

[/ QUOTE ]