Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Robert Kiyosaki

[ QUOTE ]
The major piece of advice for me was to get out of the rat race.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing this is exactly the "fuzzy, non specific advice" that DesertCat was talking about.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 PM

i dont trust hawaiians
Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 AM

Robert Kiyosaki started it. And I'll tell you how.

I read Robert Kiyosaki's books and made up my mind that I was going to be financially free no matter how hard I had to work to get there.

I figured the best place to learn real estate like I learned poker was to hit the forums. I went to his richdad forums and found his real estate section. The forum had awesome bonafide practitioners giving gold mine after goldmine of advice. I followed them and went on a buying spree of real estate Guru courses off ebay.

I could care less about whatever facts he presented his history with. The principles he taught me in his books are the principles I will carry on forever.

In one of his books, he talked about how he laughed inside when he looked at a new entrepreneur's horrendous business plan. I take that lesson to heart and continuously change and plan out my business. I make 1 year plans, 3 year plans, 5 year plans, 10 year plans.

Another huge lesson I learned was a lesson about failing. Robert Kiyosaki makes fun of himself in his books about all his failures. Companies he built sky high and ran into the ground. But he said those failures taught him the most important lessons of his life and that I should not be afraid of failing.

I take that lesson to heart and came to the realization that a successful entrepreneur is in a continuous state of failing. I am not afraid to fail.

Basically, Robert Kiyosaki changed my entire perception about money. I don't work hard for money, money works hard for me. I thank him from delivering my life from the grinding J-O-B routine.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In one of his books, he talked about how he laughed inside when he looked at a new entrepreneur's horrendous business plan. I take that lesson to heart and continuously change and plan out my business.

[/ QUOTE ]
What lesson is this, don't have horrendous business plans?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 AM

Yes.

How many businesses out there don't have any business plan whatsoever?

I mean written well thought out "business" plans? What is the statistic for failing businesses again?

For a lesson that seems so simple and easy, it boggles my mind why so many people ignore it.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you immediately igonore the critics of snake oil salesmen because they're being negative?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ignore critics all together.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What lesson is this, don't have horrendous business plans?

[/ QUOTE ]

He goes into detail towards what kind of a business plan WON'T work and what kinds of business plans DO work.

Read the book.

I am brutally honest with my business plans. I don't fudge the numbers to make it look pretty because I know I am only cheating myself. My business plan is the most important thing about my business. The plan is essentially my map that I use to navigate around my entrepreneurial life. Another lesson by Robert Kiyosaki.

I have like dozens and dozens ingrained in my conscious as well as subconscious.

It is a losing battle to critique all the lessons and trivialize them.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Tien,

You seem like a nice guy, and if Kiyosaki has helped you, more power to you and congratulations on any succes you've had. But your refusal to acknowledge any criticisms of Kiyosaki (because they're negative?!) and your frequent use of Kiyosaki-speak ,ie "I thank him from delivering my life from the grinding J-O-B routine" is really creepy.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Things I don't agree with Robert Kiyosaki myself:

1) He wrote in his books that "flipping" is something he doesnt believe in.
I disagree with that and flip houses myself.

2) He claims he has a a "rich dad". I don't believe he is able to remember every single conversation with his rich dad like he likes to do in his books.

3) He makes many claims about his real estate success. I have doubts about that but then again, I think it is more like an overexageration rather than an outright lie.

HOWEVER. Those doubts do not stop me from appreciating the PRINCIPLES he teaches in his books.

And those doubts should not stop the anti-Kiyosaki group from appreciating such principles themselves. The principles he teaches about money are sound principles that 95% of people are continuously violating. And those principles were principles that I myself have violated for a very long time until I read RDPD.

EX: Whenever revenue comes in, instead of thinking about ways to spend it like 95% of Americans, I will think of ways to reinvest it.

John T Reed makes me sick to my stomache with his website. That critic is a critic I refuse to listen to. His critique against RK is more malicious and emotionally based than anything.

There is a difference between destructive criticism and constructive criticism. People who only offer destructive crticism are what I call emotionally poor people who don't deserve an audience whatsoever. John T Reed with that website of his offers nothing but malicious destructive criticism.

Someone that goes out of his way to spew filth and defame another person's name is someone I will ignore 100% of the time regardless of what they have to say.

And I know you will respond and say you won't listen to anyone that lies in his books and I totally understand that. We all have our values and we all have our decisions towards who we will listen to and who we will ignore.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM

Guess I'll throw in my $0.02. The thing that scared me away from RK's teachings was the apparent lack of success prior to his getting involved with the MLM circuit. He has also backpeddled on whether Rich Dad really was a person. I call that dishonesty. Why would I take advice from someone who has already proven he has a propensity for misleading people?

In addition, the 20/20 segment where RK advised people on how to make money was eye opening. One of his themes is that making money is so easy, it's practically an afterthought. Yet, when given a real opportunity to show people how to, he only offered vague advice which didn't result in much success for the students.