Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Would you put your life on the line?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take 1 in 10 probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.

i've been fairly bored with life lately anyway...

maybe 10's too small...25 for sure.

i'd do 1-25 for just a million, and if it was in cash, and there really was say, $200,000 in fifty dollar bills in a case, and i positively could leave with it if he missed, i'd pick 1-25 in a second.

i'm actually sitting here kicking the numbers around...

1-25 i'd do for 100,000...any takers?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not placing a monetary value on my life. I wouldn't bet my [censored] little toe against your $10 million.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not fair.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Serious answer to an absurd question: I turn down all amounts at all odds.

I'm not placing a monetary value on my life. I wouldn't bet my [censored] little toe against your $10 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Every action you take has an implicit risk. Easiest to see are activities like crossing the road, driving, flying on a plane, etc. Each of those actions you do because the risk to you is smaller then the utility you get out of doing the action.

[/ QUOTE ]..

Nor do I think crossing the street represents a calculated risk.

Being alive carries with it its own risk of death - that's just how it is. But I'm not placing monetary values on any of that. And I'm not going to essentially sell a piece of my body for supposed financial gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Driving is certainly a non-trivial chance of death (1 in 18585 if that stupid site can be believed). I would assume then that you would take OPs bet if the number you had to pick was between 1 and 18585. I was just commenting that when you said *ALL* amounts at *ALL* odds, you really didn't mean that.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM

lol yes I would
Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 PM

I'd def do this and pick 2. Who the [censored] is gonna say 2? I mean come on.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 PM

1 in 50? I'd take that in a heartbeat. To put it in perspective, it's like saying you have top set vs bottom set and all the money goes in on the turn. Would you risk your life that you win there with top set for 10 million? I think it's an easy yes, as 10 million will improve your lifestyle significantly and 2% is pretty low.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd def do this and pick 2. Who the [censored] is gonna say 2? I mean come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would assume then that you would take OPs bet if the number you had to pick was between 1 and 18585.

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume wrong. Maybe it's because people think it's cool to say they take the "value" over everything else. Or maybe you're just not reading what I write.

I will not place a value on my life or on my body. I will not give up my little finger or pinky toe for $1 million or more, whether it's whacked off by a cleaver or surgically removed with anesthesia and a scalpel.

[Please excuse the spelling errors above, if there are any]

The point is not whether my life would be better or worse. It's my body, my life, and I'm not going to say it's worth some definitive amount. That seems counterintuitive to how I want to live. If you feel different, take that little toe to ebay and good luck with it.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would assume then that you would take OPs bet if the number you had to pick was between 1 and 18585.

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume wrong. Maybe it's because people think it's cool to say they take the "value" over everything else. Or maybe you're just not reading what I write.

I will not place a value on my life or on my body. I will not give up my little finger or pinky toe for $1 million or more, whether it's whacked off by a cleaver or surgically removed with anesthesia and a scalpel.

[Please excuse the spelling errors above, if there are any]

The point is not whether my life would be better or worse. It's my body, my life, and I'm not going to say it's worth some definitive amount. That seems counterintuitive to how I want to live. If you feel different, take that little toe to ebay and good luck with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that you're irrational. It has nothing to do with being 'cool'. Every single decision you make in life is a choice between risk and reward and the OP (or at least the first time it was asked) is an interesting way to make you think about the choices you make every day.

Correctly (or I guess Incorrectly) picking a number between 1 and 18585 in the OP scenario and driving both have the exact same chance of you dying. Maybe you've deluded yourself into thinking that thats not true, but it is.

If you're not deluding yourself on your chances of dying while driving then you must value driving to the store to pick up your groceries more than you value 10 million dollars. Which is slightly irrational since you could pay somebody to get your groceries for you with that kind of money.

But lets change the OP slightly. Lets say you have to drive to the 50 largest cities in the Continental US, and if you do that some rich guy is going to give you 10 million dollars. Would you do that?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM

10-1?