Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Default should I tell my boss about my criminal record

I recently started a new job in accounting as a financial analyst with a publicly traded company which I love. It's the best job Ive ever had. I am working for this company through an employment agency. My boss (the controller) is extremely happy with my work and has stated an intention to hire me permanently.

As I stated when I was hired through and agency and when I applied through them I filled out an application which included criminal history which I answered honestly. I was arrested and plead guilty to lying to a police officer a misdemeanor.

at this time the person working my file was supposed to get a background check and run it through there legal department which he forgot to do. However he recently discovered his mistake and this is being done now, he stated there is a chance I will no longer be able to work through them. I would zero notice if this conclusion is reached.

Like I said my boss loves the work I am doing. I am thinking about going to him now, and explaining the situation, and that I have not been trying to hide anything, and that I love my job. My thinking is, it will be a lot better for him to hear it from me directly, then to find out from the agency that I will no longer be coming in.

The guy at the agency said I should wait to see what happens, and not go to him first but I believe they may be trying to cover their own asses. He said he doesn't want me to shoot myself in the foot by coming forward now.

My question is do you think I should go to my boss tomorrow morning and explain the situation to him now, that I may be pulled off the job by the agency but that I enjoy working there and want to continue to do so if at all possible.

note: there is zero chance of him not finding out long term and they to will do a background check upon hiring permanently.

additionally, has anyone worked with something similar> if so how bad is my record?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: should I tell my boss about my criminal record

Now that you already have a positive relationship I absolutely think you should go to him and lay your cards on the table. Your plan is sound, and hearing it from you as opposed to from ADP or whatever might make all the difference in the world.

Hell, it's a misdemeanor. Is the story more tawdry than it sounds?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 PM

Should you tell your boss?

Yes

Because

A)He's going to find out anyways
B)If he has enough "pull" he can hire you anyways despite what HR says(I did this when I was a hiring manager).

also

What you were convicted for is not job related(be prepared to make that argument and present it him that way). If he is happy with you, you will get hired.

Stu
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 PM

no not really, I had an unpaid ticket, which resulted in a suspended license. I got pulled over lied about who I was, and got busted. really stupid thing to do on my part. I plead guilty and got fined. it was almost 2 years ago
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM

The only reason to NOT tell him is the possibility that this is so minor it won't even show up on the background check, which it probably will. Also, and this is easy for me to say, I wouldn't want to work someplace that would fire me for something so unrelated and random when they know I'm good at my job.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 AM

you are only required to admit to felonies in most jobs, this is one of the most minor of midemeanors that it's not worth bothering telling your boss
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 AM

KDawg,

Requirements are one thing, but a decent employee background check gives you much more than that, like credit scores, for instance. I wouldn't bet against this coming up on OP's report. At the very least, it's so minor that if he presents it correctly hopefully bossman will laugh it off.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 AM

If your boss is reasonable and likes your work definitely clue him in. Chances are you will gain an advocate. If one of my good employees told me about this and I later got some pushback from some lawyer I would go ballistic fighting the lawyer.

Just make sure you are 100% straight, and give context for why the conversation is taking place at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:59 AM

FWIW, I have a DOD clearance and I have a criminal record. As long as it is as small of an offence as that you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:03 AM

you should tell him, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal since it's just a misdemeanor