Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker
Default Re: I know I\'m beat... I call?!?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love when hands like that fold, as I am getting ready to make a crying call I life my two cards inbetween my right index finger and middle finger while using my left hand to throw in the chips attempting to instafold when they table thier hand. Then I move on and laugh at how bad they are regardless of them winning the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deebish.

[/ QUOTE ]

deeb spell check did'nt even make an attempt
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love when hands like that fold, as I am getting ready to make a crying call I life my two cards inbetween my right index finger and middle finger while using my left hand to throw in the chips attempting to instafold when they table thier hand. Then I move on and laugh at how bad they are regardless of them winning the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deebish.

[/ QUOTE ]

deeb spell check did'nt even make an attempt

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when hands like that fold.
As I am preparing myself to make a crying call I lift my 2 cards up between my right index finger and middle finger while using my left hand to throw in the chips. I am ready to instamuck when they table their hand. Despite them winning the hand I move on and laugh at how bad they are.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the thread you reference, you only have to be good 18% of the time for the call to be cEV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I wasn't wanting this thread to be about that specific hand, but the general feeling of "i know i'm beat, i call" in spots where you may or may not be getting good pot odds.

I think eagles brings up a very good point. Maybe we need to learn to play the hands as poker and not follow rules. I know there are still some rules I follow that probably have carried over from my beginners days that are most definitely hindering my play.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:50 PM

What I mean when I say this is we are obviously a big dog to have the best hand but we are getting a good enough price. In the Scotty hand for example we're obviously beat like 75% of the time at least so of course we expect to be shown a better hand, but we aregetting the price to call. If I thought we were <18% to win I would say fold. In retrospect that hand may have been a fold though...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM

You should ask the limit players, that's the kind of question they have to answer all day
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 AM

this thread shouldnt have died so fast.

While I thought the hand with bond v.s. scotty was a fold on the end, tons of players better than me all said they would have called. I couldnt see how scotty could minraise there giving such good odds on a bluff or extremely thin value bet. That night I saw a similar hand from this years wsop where scotty (with K high) check raises Kirk whatever his name is on an A hi board, Kirk bet 5k on the end with AT (1 pair) and scotty check raised to 25k... this is one of those spots where you would typically think there is no way that my one pair is good but the difference was the size of the checkraise and it looked a bit bluffier than the hand v.s. bond and is very different in that regard.

One of my major leaks is that I can be a huge station, sometimes I just NEED to see it. And when youre a huge station sometimes you make some sick calls and get rewarded, but most of the time you look like an idiot and regret it. Its those rare times that we are right and obv looked into their soul that keep us coming back for more, even when we 'know' we're beat theres always that tiny chance.

Anyway, I really just wanted to keep this thread going and see some more discussion. /ramble
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 AM

folding IS underrated
Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 AM

Good topic Jordan, and i really like Eagles reply. Also thank god for Deebspellcheck because that paragraph was like a sodomization of the English language.

I've been wondering about this too, especially in regards to live poker where i'm less familiar with players patterns. I'm beginiing to wonder if there are some spots where we should begin weighting a players range rediculously to one end (often being, he has the nutz) until proven otherwise.

The gross part about the Scotty hand is i've seen him do some wild moves on camera, but i wonder how many of those are the result of a camera + alcahol. What i'm really left wondering about in that hand is whether i should ever be calling the turn in live tournaments.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Guess my point is, that's why we always call, because SOMETIMES we win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
i think this is true to an extent. Situations that you win a hand by making a tough call seem to stick with you and because you have made a good call before you might be right again in a similar situation.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we need to learn to play the hands as poker and not follow rules. [ QUOTE ]

Following some general guideline is pretty hard, especially in tournament poker.