Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Got company. $100 missing. Here\'s what I\'ve done.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure your mom hasn't gotten in deep with the bingo parlor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:15 AM

I come from a small family (3 aunts, 3 cousins, thats it) I was a total f up as a kid. When I was 15 $100 went missing from my aunt connie's purse. I got the not so subtle stare down time to confess treatment. I didn't take the money. My aunt connie is a nice lady, 20 years later its the first thing that pops into my head when I hear her name.

You BETTER be right.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bring it up with the kid and if he denies it, give him a long Larry David staredown and go about your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

"okay..okay."
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM

It's time to act like an uncle. Giving the kid the silent treatment for a week is so lame. And it'll stale the relationship between the two of you. The best thing that come out of this situation is that you teach him a healthy lesson, and you also show that you can be a cool uncle about it. If I were you I would take him aside and say somethin like 'I am missing $100. I dont think either your mum or dad took it, so unfortunately that just leaves you. I dont give a [censored] (throw in curse words to show your the cool uncle) about the money, I'm just a bit pissed that you'd steal from me. I'm not going to tell your parents, but I just want you to think about this'.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's time to act like an uncle. Giving the kid the silent treatment for a week is so lame. And it'll stale the relationship between the two of you. The best thing that come out of this situation is that you teach him a healthy lesson, and you also show that you can be a cool uncle about it. If I were you I would take him aside and say somethin like 'I am missing $100. I dont think either your mum or dad took it, so unfortunately that just leaves you. I dont give a [censored] (throw in curse words to show your the cool uncle) about the money, I'm just a bit pissed that you'd steal from me. I'm not going to tell your parents, but I just want you to think about this'.

[/ QUOTE ]
The kid is definitely old enough that his parents do not need to be involved. A 14 year old kid knows not to steal. Any problems or suspicions you have can be handled between you and your nephew. If I was in your position, I would only tell his parents if I really felt his theft was a serious problem. But if it's a crime of opportunity, just a case of "No one will notice a little money missing", let him know that behavior of that sort is wrong whether or not anyone notices. Tell him he gets one free pass, and next time you'll let his parents deal with him.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and am treating him coldly which is VERY much different from the way it normally would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big mistake, you just tipped your hand. The little crafty bastard knows now that you suspect him, so you won't be able to surprise him with an out of left field comment that leaves his jaw hanging. He's probably upstairs now practicing his "surprised" faces for when you do this. He's also probably covering his tracks by throwing away the wrappers from all those baseball card packs that he bought.

Your best bet now is to be able to convince him that it would be much better to resolve this between the pair of you than to get his parents involved. I'd probably put money on him being able to pysche you out though.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uh oh, $100 call the FBI!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At dinner when you are all round the table one evening, open your wallet/purse and mention 'i swore i should have an extra $100 in here' and just watch the kid's face. Try and pick something up.

Maybe cos it's family give them the benefit of the doubt this one time, but if more stuff goes missing take some action.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's time to act like an uncle. Giving the kid the silent treatment for a week is so lame. And it'll stale the relationship between the two of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

He started it!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:33 AM

here is what you do, at the dinner table wager $100 on a ridiculous bet where you are sure to lose and see if the kid takes on the offer. He can't resist so when he whips out the $100 you then you pop the question, SO HOW DID YOU GET THAT HUNDO HMMMM?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put a piece of paper in my pocket with a note that says 'Put it back'.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

He still won't though, so its not very effective.

It'd be more awesome if the kid took the money and replaced the note with one that said "No."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids' note: " No, and I want a hundred every time we visit or I tell my dad you tried to touch me."