Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
next year---a bowl game is a must however

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think there's any reason to expect significant improvement next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...eventually, if your players are SO much better than most your opponents, you cannot help but win---see Lloyd Carr at Michigan
Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

oh yeah....Weis has had 3 recruiting classes....3 on the field right now!

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think that the juniors who started in 2005 are a Weiss recruiting class?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think that the juniors who started in 2005 are a Weiss recruiting class?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes...as I've stated before, he was hired in plenty of time to make a difference but chose to stay with the Patriots instead

alot can be done in football in those two months

look at what Ed Orgeron did in that time

look at what Nebraska will do when Turner Gill gets in place

the Irish were #40 with no one being the 'closer' for the class...If JabbaTheWeis had made the commitment to recruiting that class, they are likely around #25

I think Charlie underestimated how much recruiting does matter

onto another point, I also think he has underestimated how much teaching college players require

ND's last 4 classes

Illinois' last 4

a coach with a rep for being a bad coach is doing much better at teaching than the 'pro' developer
Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes...as I've stated before, he was hired in plenty of time to make a difference but chose to stay with the Patriots instead

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then you are wrong. Weis had a commitment to the Patriots and wouldn't leave a Super Bowl bound team to start another job. I'm suprised that you seem to think he should have. The program was in disarray in 04 and drowning in bad press.

[ QUOTE ]

alot can be done in football in those two months

look at what Ed Orgeron did in that time

look at what Nebraska will do when Turner Gill gets in place

the Irish were #40 with no one being the 'closer' for the class...If JabbaTheWeis had made the commitment to recruiting that class, they are likely around #25

I think Charlie underestimated how much recruiting does matter

onto another point, I also think he has underestimated how much teaching college players require

[/ QUOTE ] probably, He knows it now.
[ QUOTE ]

ND's last 4 classes

Illinois' last 4

a coach with a rep for being a bad coach is doing much better at teaching than the 'pro' developer

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that Zook is bad coach or not. I know that Bill Callahan and Dave Wanstedt are doing better than the pro developer this year.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well then you are wrong. Weis had a commitment to the Patriots and wouldn't leave a Super Bowl bound team to start another job. I'm suprised that you seem to think he should have. The program was in disarray in 04 and drowning in bad press.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if it was right or wrong in the grand scheme

it was definitely wrong for Notre Dame though

dynamite hires reverse bad press quickly--he could've landed a few more recruits that would be a big difference right now---another linemen or two would've been huge
Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM

After seeing it mentioned here several times I decided to check in on NDNation. Wow. Now that is funny.

One thing I saw that was resurrected from an earlier puff-piece that hit the AP wire (written by a Domer):

[ QUOTE ]
If not exactly chastened after eight losses, Weis has at least shown a willingness to change. Deferring after winning the coin toss against USC, as small a gesture as that might have been, loosened his grip on his own rigid orthodoxy of offense first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let the record show that what actually happened was that USC elected to play defense on the road against Nebraska when the Cornhuskers deferred and so Charlie thought USC would do it again. And he guessed wrong again. It was not a watershed moment demonstrating how he is growing as a coach and person and willing to try new things. Okay?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After seeing it mentioned here several times I decided to check in on NDNation. Wow. Now that is funny.

One thing I saw that was resurrected from an earlier puff-piece that hit the AP wire (written by a Domer):

[ QUOTE ]
If not exactly chastened after eight losses, Weis has at least shown a willingness to change. Deferring after winning the coin toss against USC, as small a gesture as that might have been, loosened his grip on his own rigid orthodoxy of offense first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let the record show that what actually happened was that USC elected to play defense on the road against Nebraska when the Cornhuskers deferred and so Charlie thought USC would do it again. And he guessed wrong again. It was not a watershed moment demonstrating how he is growing as a coach and person and willing to try new things. Okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weis started an option QB in the first game. I think that alone shows he can try new things.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weis started an option QB in the first game. I think that alone shows he can try new things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a Freshman he couldn't justify giving the start to (Clausen). That left the obvious choice of Sharpley or he could go with his own recruit, Jones. I think the way he chose is a great indicator of who he is-- and it hasn't changed a bit.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Just chiming in to say that week in and week out this thread proves to be the most entertaining one in Sports.

Thank you delusional hyper-sensitve ND homer.