Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 AM

Default But you have to!

Me: "Yeah, my wife and I are thinking about taking another big trip next fall. We love Central America but want to go somewhere else. Neither of us have any interest in Europe and no way in hell am I spending a day on a plane to Australia or New Zealand, so we're considering Chile, Argentina, Peru and I'm trying to talk her into South Africa and that bush lodge that we were talking about."

Co-worker: "You have to go to Italy man. You have to. Tuscany during the autumn is unbelievable."
Co-worker2: "You guys would love Croatia, I'm telling you, just go to Croatia. The people are amazing."

Me: "We really don't want to go to Europe."

Co-worker: "Yeah, but you don't understand Italy, you MUST go to Italy."

Me: "No, really, we're not interested in Italy."

Co-worker: "Italy is better than Chile."

Me: "You've never been to Chile!"

Co-worker: "But I know how great Italy is."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife's friend: "We went to that new Indian place last week, it was so good. You guys have to go. A bunch of us are going Friday, you have to come."

Wife: "We're not fans of Indian cuisine, so we'll have to pass. Thanks for the invite though."

Wife's friend: "But you don't understand how good this is, you'll love it"

Wife: "We've tried a number of dishes, we've dined at KotoD's Indian co-workers homes before, we just don't like it, sorry."

Wife's friend: "You don't know what you're missing, it's the best, seriously just come along."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is happening more and more often. A friend was tracked down by a woman in his office and forced to try some coconut cake, even though he tried to politely beg off because he hates the flavor of coconut. She kept after him because he "will LOVE this". My wife eats chicken and fish, but not beef. Her boss spent an entire dinner attempting to get her to try filet.

I don't know if I have a point, but damn people are pushy when it comes to their tastes, regardless of your own.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: But you have to!

Indian food is really good though.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 AM

What kind of heathen doesn't like filet?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of heathen doesn't like filet?

[/ QUOTE ]

An ex-vegetarian. She was straight vegetarian for the first however many years I knew her. The first pregnancy turned her into an ovo-pescetarian. The second one caused her to eat more chicken than I thought humanly possible. I assume that if we have another kid that she's going cannibal during the pregnancy.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 AM

You sound like a really boring couple.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 AM

I don't like crab cakes, my gf doesn't like fish. anytime seafood comes up people love to go on and on about how this one place has the best crab cakes and fish and we have to go try it because we will surely love it. surprisingly, people will do this repeatedly, at different places, even after knowing we don't like said food.

but as far as travelling, i'm 1/7th italian and will cut you if you don't go to italy
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 AM

You should stop not liking fish and crab cakes.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like crab cakes, my gf doesn't like fish. anytime seafood comes up people love to go on and on about how this one place has the best crab cakes and fish and we have to go try it because we will surely love it. surprisingly, people will do this repeatedly, at different places, even after knowing we don't like said food.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you don't understand, these crab cakes are so good that even people who don't like crab cakes come here just to eat them!

[ QUOTE ]
but as far as travelling, i'm 1/7th italian and will cut you if you don't go to italy

[/ QUOTE ]

My ethnic heritage is 100% Italian (well, there is 25% that may not be, because the Hungarians were in charge of my great-grandmother's village when she was born, though now it's in Italy), but I just don't have an interest to go there now. Maybe when I get older I'll find some reason to visit the homeland of my people, I don't know. For now, we really like the Spanish / Indian ethnic heritage. They're good people. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you'r leveling because i hear this kind of fraction a lot. how does this work?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:46 AM

It's 1/8 plus 1/32 - you don't expect people who have some sort of weird faux-ethnic identity based on where their
grandmother's mother came from to have exact math skills do you?