Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: most emotionally devasting moment in film

The murder at the end of Heavenly Creatures
Old 09-02-2007, 12:07 AM

the end of das boot
Old 09-02-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The moment shortly before the murder at the end of Heavenly Creatures when Melanie Lynskie offers her mom the cake

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP

I literally do not know what to think about that moment, where to put my sympathies.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general...."The Deer Hunter".

Specifically.....The Christopher Walkien "Russian Roulette" scene.

I've seen the movie just once, and will never watch it again.

It takes my mind to places where I don't ever want to go again.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, it's the end, when they all sing God Bless America and George Dzundza's character cries in the kitchen.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 AM

Some thoughts:

--I've seen like maybe three of the films mentioned in this thread.

--Many of the moments posted didn't devastate me emotionally, because they were so unreal that I couldn't suspend disbelief. The scenes from Sophie's Choice and Deer Hunter that were mentioned here are just too unrealistic for me to buy into.

--I would be remiss to not include my own suggestion: Band of Brothers, when they liberate the concentration camp. Shakes my bones every time.

Speaking of "bone shakers", when Bullock's sweet kid gets seriously injured in Deadwood, and the whole town frets over it.

Speaking of David Milch being a heartless bastard...when Andy Jr gets killed on NYPD Blue. The entire cast emotes off the chart (Donna Abandando can barely hold it together).

EDIT: Sorry if I spoiled a tv episode from 12 years ago. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 AM

In dogville when the fragile and innocent Grace(nicole kidman) realizes that humanity sucks and decides to kill all of the villagepeople including women and children.

Can't believe noone has mentioned it, perhaps it's because the movie is no that widespread?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Maybe i'm going by a different definition of emotionally devastating, but two that spring to mind:

1, The scene in "Basquiat" when the story is being told about the young prince held captive in the castle, and,

2, The last scene in "Lost in Translation" where Murray runs back and whispers the mystery nothings into Johansen's ear.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM

i haven't seen many of the films mentioned, but how has million dollar baby not been mentioned??

Maggie Fitzgerald: I do have one favor to ask of you boss.
Frankie Dunn: Anything you want.
Maggie Fitzgerald: Remember what my daddy did for Axel?
Frankie Dunn: [long pause] Don't even think about that.
Maggie Fitzgerald: I can't be like this, Frankie. Not after what I've done. I've seen the world. People chanted my name. Well, not my name... some damn name you gave me. But they were chanting for me. I was in magazines. You think I ever dreamed that'd happen? I was born two pounds, one-and-a-half ounces. Daddy used to tell me I'd fight my way into this world, and I'd fight my way out. That's all I wanna do, Frankie. I just don't wanna fight you to do it. I got what I needed. I got it all. Don't let 'em keep taking it away from me. Don't let me lie here 'till I can't hear those people chanting no more.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't seen many of the films mentioned, but how has million dollar baby not been mentioned??

Maggie Fitzgerald: I can't be like this, Frankie. Not after what I've done. I've seen the world. People chanted my name. Well, not my name... some damn name you gave me. But they were chanting for me. I was in magazines. You think I ever dreamed that'd happen? I was born two pounds, one-and-a-half ounces. Daddy used to tell me I'd fight my way into this world, and I'd fight my way out. That's all I wanna do, Frankie. I just don't wanna fight you to do it. I got what I needed. I got it all. Don't let 'em keep taking it away from me. Don't let me lie here 'till I can't hear those people chanting no more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great call. My eyes are getting moist just thinking about it.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great call. My eyes are getting moist just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mixed reaction. I could not think of killing someone I love, so I felt an immediate gulf between me and the characters at that moment, and a resulting lack of emotion.