Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Default How do you stop people from offering unsolicited advice?

Yesterday, 4th time at a b&m. There was one guy at the table who seemed to enjoy criticizing my play. He didn't do it in a friendly helpful way either, more of a nasty "you suck because" way.

Example, I am UTG, he is to my immediate right in the bb. I look down at pocket queens and raise (4-8 limit). It is folded to him, he looks at his hand, reaches for chips, thinks and then mucks. He then says "good for you!" you won the minimum, sarcastically.

He says, keep raising your hands preflop and you will keep winning the minimum. I don't feel like discussing strategy, defending my play, etc. so I just ignore it. I am fairly quiet and keep to myself but am not unfriendly either.

I think he takes my lack of reply as free reign to start telling me what I did wrong every hand I am in almost. You should have check raised there, etc. etc. etc.

On one hand against him, he raised out of the sb (I was in the bb) and there were already 5 people in. I had 10 J suited and called, and flopped an open ended straight and flush draw. He bet out, I called, etc. I rivered the nut straight he bet, I raised, he called, I beat his set of queens.

He went completely off for the next half hour, how do you call when you KNOW you are behind (forgetting the fact the pot was huge here?) if the board paired you would have gone broke, etc. etc. The thing is, he made it uncomfortable for me. I few others kind of told him to shut up politely, then a guy at the table finally said, why don't you play your cards, and let her play hers in an angry tone. This is the only guy that seemed to intimidate him and shut him up at all.

Is there any way to politely tell him to shut up without justifying my play? I don't want arguments at the table, but don't want to put up with this stuff either. I had earlier told him that if I wanted advice I would ask (the second time he did it), but tried to do it in a friendly joking tone. It seemed to make it worse.