Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 AM

Default NL10 Top2 w AJ

villain is 34/16/0.94 over 50 hands. Comments on all streets appreciated.

Titan Poker 0.05/0.10, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | <font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($17.36)
SB ($9.69)
BB BB ($9.79)
UTG ($12.88)
UTG+1 <font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($14.67)</font>
CO <font color="#C00000">Hero ($11.00)</font>

Preflop: Hero is in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 0.30, Hero calls 0.30, 2 folds, BB calls 0.20.

Flop (0.95) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG+1 bets 0.70, Hero calls 0.70, 1 fold.

Turn (2.35) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets 1.00, Hero raises to 3.30, UTG+1 calls 2.30.

River (8.95) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, Hero moves all-in for 6.70
Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: NL10 Top2 w AJ

played fine
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 AM

Preflop: Seems fine, maybe there's an argument for 3-betting him but it's a raise from UTG+1 and you only have AJo. Maybe with more information I could recommend rr, but as it stands the call seems correct.

Flop: Calling seems ok. I do wonder if you could raise here. You're ahead of anything but a set, QQ, KK, AA. Could well have raised UTG+1 with PP, in which case you're ahead of most, Axs, in which case you're ahead, biiiiig suited connectors maybe? in which case you're ahead of everything but JT. Calling seems fine, but I do wonder if raising is an option you should consider...I'd kind of like to hear someone more experienced weigh in. I don't think the call is wrong though.

Turn: The re-raise seems good. I guess you could have pushed but you might be able to squeeze more out of him by waiting until the river for that.

River: Push seems fine, off the top of my head seems like you're ahead.

It looks like a really simple hand but it does raise some questions, I'd kind of like some feedback on my analysis.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 AM

Joliq: Raising the flop builds a big pot, which is definitely not what we want to have at that point. We have a hand with good showdown value, so we try to get there cheaply.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 AM

preflop is raise or fold imo
otherwise
flop is fine
turn is fine
river is fine
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Played well, although your turn raise is a bit small (a psr would be to 4.35 so I'd raise to around 4). Villain seems to be the kind of player who likes to call a lot (very passive) so by betting a little more on the turn it's easier to commit him.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 AM

Don't get in the habit of cold calling AJo preflop. You should either raise or fold depending on villain, table dynamics, etc. Otherwise, nice hand.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 AM

Hm yeah looking back over it, It's still just TPTK, so calling is probably correct to keep the pot small with just the pair. I think I just like to think about raising before I think about calling.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM

thanks guys. I agree that flat calling pre-flop prob isn't the best play. Normally, I dump AJo in that spot, but he had been kind of aggressive pf so I thought I should play it in position, should have 3-bet it though.

Other than that I think I played the hand well and you all seem to agree with that, so I guess I shouldn't second guess anything as a result of being shown the nuts.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:35 PM

I like the call pre-flop. It controls volatility more and allows you to evaluate the flop. Re-raising is also a good move and depends on how you like to play. Except against the tightest of villains, folding is too tight.

Calling the flop is good. It adds deception and manages pot-size. I don't like raising unless the opponent is very likely to call with a worse hand which won't happen that much here. The villain may be C-betting and i think you should let them fire another bullet.

I like the play on the turn. You're only losing to sets and the villain seems willing to put the money in the pot. You're ahead more often than not so re-raising is good.

I often value bet the river rather than shoving but here the villain seems strong enough so that shoving is the most profitable play.