Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: ** New & Improved ** Pokerstars Regulars Thread

I think feeling that you're a better player is required in order to actively try and exploit other competent players? It comes off somewhat arrogant.

I just think the definition of good is so relative and often misundertood. I don't consider myself that good as
I'm always learning/understanding that there was a better way to play certain situations. You exploit players by putting them in situations they like to avoid.

For those that constantly mock solid ABC players all I can say is you must be making a [censored] of money? There's more than one way to skin a cat and you have to be true to yourself and putting yourself in situations where you're uncomfortable is at least initially -EV.

It's not that easy to play solid ABC high volume poker...it's a valuable skill too. Self control, tilt free, good bankroll management, good work ethic=$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I keep having hotshot FPS heroes berate me for being a nit after they've gotten stacked all in pre flop VS the AA they "knew" I had because I play so bad? WTF? Do we still keep score by how much cash we make?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find players like tru_dat, the minion and so forth to be very good regs.

[/ QUOTE ]

your standards for assessing reg goodness are flawed.

if all those regs were [ QUOTE ]
very good

[/ QUOTE ], then they wouldn't ever-constantly be getting bitchslapped back to 1/2. I think you need to play in some tough games for a while, some 5/10fr on stars, or some midstakes shorthanded games, then you will be acquainted with what a very good reg is.

FWIW, there are probably 3 or 4 people MAX that play pokerstars 1/2 thru 3/6 full ring, that i would actualy fear playing against.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already do play 5/10 FR on stars.

I'm not talking about fearing to play someone. I don't fear to play anyone. There are 0 players max that I'm afraid to play...whether or not I know they're better than me. They're not going to win much from me in the long run. (Edit: in a FR game)

[ QUOTE ]
then they wouldn't ever-constantly be getting bitchslapped back to 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. Why am I seeing you at 1/2 lately? I've been playing 1/2 for the last 3 days. My normal game is a mix of 5/10, 3/6 and 2/4 whatever i can get to load up. I've been playing 20+ tables lately just to experiment with it.

Sometimes it takes many attempts to move up. Many times this has nothing to do with getting "bitch slapped" by amazing players as it does with getting "bitch slapped" by poker.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then enlighten, please.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM

QTip youre wasting your time here. There is about a 0% chance that Renton is going to "enlighten" anyone here. He's such a poker mastermind that it is above him to give out that kind of info to inferrior players like us.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it humorous when people talk about being excited to have known tight players at their tables. You're just not going to be winning much money from them imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I lose focus of the FACT that poker is a contest for the blinds or antes or combo of them, the more my game struggles. Just a thought.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 AM

This thread is definitely not improved, lol.

lock plz
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it humorous when people talk about being excited to have known tight players at their tables. You're just not going to be winning much money from them imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I lose focus of the FACT that poker is a contest for the blinds or antes or combo of them, the more my game struggles. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where my understanding is, this is much less of a fact in NL.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lock plz

[/ QUOTE ]

We're having a long overdue conversation here main.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
QTip youre wasting your time here. There is about a 0% chance that Renton is going to "enlighten" anyone here. He's such a poker mastermind that it is above him to give out that kind of info to inferrior players like us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm? Renton has given quite a bit to these forums I think.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

lock plz

[/ QUOTE ]

We're having a long overdue conversation here main.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the conversation is a good one, but slightly outside the realm of this thread. From what I understand, we are to be addressing specific regulars.

FWIW, I consider any player beating a level to be 'good' at it. If you win at a skill game you are, by definition, good at it. Obviously some are better than others.

We all have different skill sets and comfort zones. What is right for you, may not be right for someone else. There are tonnes of ways to win at this game.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 AM

Wow ok, what i was saying wasn't meant to be totally elitist. Also, ive never claimed to be superior to anyone, i have no idea where that came from.

As proof of my humility, i'll tell you why ive been playing 1/2 lately: its because i think my winrate there may be twice as high as 2/4 (or more humbly, my winrate at 2/4 possibly <3ptbb). I'm on a 50k+ b/e stretch, and im experimenting a lot with my game to try to find leaks. For example, i've even been halfstacking lately, and we'll see what comes of that.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Then enlighten, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, to contribute to the thread topic:

Those people whom you cite to be "very good" regs, they're just standard regs, or as eazy put it, "blah regs". Standard, decent, marginally to decently winning regs.

The reason this thread is dumb:

Dude #1: "hey what do you guys think of RonnieJDio2415?"

Dude #2: "oh, he's a good reg, he raises a wide range in position, and bets the flop, sometimes he 3bets with hands other than AA"

yeah, he makes the STANDARD high ev low variance plays of raising a standard range, betting a standard amount of flops, and 3betting a standard amount. Now everyone can watch out for this guy, or put a note on him saying "standard tag." These people aren't snowflakes.