Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Car Radio Removal Keys?

I just bought a dice ipod integration thing for my audi that lets you hook up your ipod to a car stereo.

In order to do it, however, I need the radio removal keys, which are not included with the ipod kit. I called the dealership and they said that they don't give them out because people mess up their battery or something when they do.

I know I can buy it on ebay, but I want it now. Auto zone had some OEM generic part, but it didn't look anything like the key pictured here:

http://www.diceelectronics.com/suppo...di_install.pdf

Can I just make my own, or is that a bad idea?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Car Radio Removal Keys?

Your best bet is to go to a local best buy or circuit and see if you can throw the installers $5 to pull it out for you or if you could buy a pair off of them. I know with audis and any german cars it a little tricky but any installer like myself can get it out in like 20 seconds.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:00 PM

I got the same kit for my Passat. The radio itself and the removal keys look the same for your Audi as they did with my car.

The first time I installed the kit I was due for a routine service anyway, so I took the car to the dealership and asked them to remove the radio while they were servicing the car.

Insert long, boring story here, but I ended up having to reinstall it. That time I just ordered the keys from Enfig.com and did it myself.

I've heard of people making keys by cutting up credit cards or file-folder hangers. I've also heard of people damaging the clips which hold the radio while trying this which would make it necessary to take the dash apart if you ever want to take the radio out again.

You're going to love the DICE unit once you get it installed!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM

I actually went to circuit city today. They say no when you ask for the keys in the store, but the installers in the garage in the back can do it np.

The issue is that the dice unit I bought doesn't fit my radio. I think it might be because my car is an 07, but I'm not sure since when I selected my year and model on the site it sold me the unit that I have now.

What is my best bet now? I think it costs a few hundred at the dealership to have it done not even including the part, and from what I hear it doesn't even display track titles and allow for remote control of the ipod from the steering wheel as the dice unit claims to do.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 PM

www.crutchfield.com FTW
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM

OK, I've just called dice and they told me that for some reason my car uses a different wire, but that they are going to send it out right now.

They guy did tell me, however that on the audis the text from the ipod will not show up on my radio as advertised on the web site. He also said that you can't cycle through songs and artists on the ipod through the steering wheel, but only playlists and albums.

They have an itrip on amazon for like $40, should I just go with that? The steering wheel integration on the dice unit is basically useless from what he's telling me.

Is it worth an extra $110 for the better sound quality? I just have the sound system that came with the car (its an 07)
Old 05-11-2007, 07:11 AM

bump
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 AM

http://jvcmobile.co.uk/product.php?pr=123

im buying this next week for my car

But yes, i would spend a bit extra for better quality. With a nice car you want to have nice sound/features etc