Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

[ QUOTE ]
i think most people in this thread are forgetting what high school was like, that or you all were the perfect kids that sat with their hands folded and mouth shut all day. I'm not saying phones should be allowed just to realize how you sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

All teenagers from all generations are the same. The difference is that when I was in high school and my walkman got confiscated, my dad didn't go to the school and moan about it. I knew the rule, pushed the envelope, and suffered the consequences. The kid is being a kid, the dad is the true idiot here.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think most people in this thread are forgetting what high school was like, that or you all were the perfect kids that sat with their hands folded and mouth shut all day. I'm not saying phones should be allowed just to realize how you sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

All teenagers from all generations are the same. The difference is that when I was in high school and my walkman got confiscated, my dad didn't go to the school and moan about it. I knew the rule, pushed the envelope, and suffered the consequences. The kid is being a kid, the dad is the true idiot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think he is an idiot for wanting either his or his kids cell phone back and not waiting THIRTY DAYS from someone who doesnt have that authority?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:10 AM

I really have no idea why this thread bothers me so much... my only child is only a few months old and I couldn't really care less about what's happening in high schools right now.

But for some reason it REALLY pisses me off that all these kids/parents feel entitled to have cell phones in class when they are so clearly disruptive.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 AM

here is one, what if you leave school early and drive off, can they take your car for 30 days too?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't really matter if we think they should be allowed to or not. The point is that the school says they can't have cell phones, then they shouldn't have cell phones. I volunteer at a high school and every time I'm in there I feel like chucking a phone out the window.

- Kids are late because of phone
- they try to hide the fact their texting
- they are taking pictures

There is not problem with keeping it in their backpack or pocket. Thing is that for it to be confiscated it has to be seen, so the kids know they are walking the line.

I know that most of you guys on here are idealistic 'damn the man' types. That's good, people under 30 should be idealistic. But take a step back from your first rebelliou impulse and realize that sometimes rules need to be followed, even if you think they are stupid. If nothing else, it teaches kids that things aren't necessarily always going to go their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't some sort of rebellious outlook, "damn the man" bull [censored]. I'm agreeing with everyone that cell phones can be disruptive. I don't think the solution is banning cell phones or taking them away. And I'm not going to agree with the schools' rules because they think it's the right thing. Schools have these policies, and it seems like there is still a problem.

As I stated earlier, treat this like you treat any other class disruption. Warning, detention, suspensions.

Whether you think it's a weak argument or not, if you outlaw cell phones, kids are going to do something else disruptive. I'm sure even in your day kids wrote notes to each other. LOL, stone age txt msg, lol. When I didn't have a walkman with me, you know what I did when I was bored in class? I read a book. Is that disruptive?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't really matter if we think they should be allowed to or not. The point is that the school says they can't have cell phones, then they shouldn't have cell phones. I volunteer at a high school and every time I'm in there I feel like chucking a phone out the window.

- Kids are late because of phone
- they try to hide the fact their texting
- they are taking pictures

There is not problem with keeping it in their backpack or pocket. Thing is that for it to be confiscated it has to be seen, so the kids know they are walking the line.

I know that most of you guys on here are idealistic 'damn the man' types. That's good, people under 30 should be idealistic. But take a step back from your first rebelliou impulse and realize that sometimes rules need to be followed, even if you think they are stupid. If nothing else, it teaches kids that things aren't necessarily always going to go their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't some sort of rebellious outlook, "damn the man" bull [censored]. I'm agreeing with everyone that cell phones can be disruptive. I don't think the solution is banning cell phones or taking them away. And I'm not going to agree with the schools' rules because they think it's the right thing. Schools have these policies, and it seems like there is still a problem.

As I stated earlier, treat this like you treat any other class disruption. Warning, detention, suspensions.

Whether you think it's a weak argument or not, if you outlaw cell phones, kids are going to do something else disruptive. I'm sure even in your day kids wrote notes to each other. LOL, stone age txt msg, lol. When I didn't have a walkman with me, you know what I did when I was bored in class? I read a book. Is that disruptive?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, in my day we used a rock and chisel [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This discussion has gotten to the point where all parties are restating their points, and neither side is going to agree with the other.

Sorry about the "damn the man" comment. After I reread my post, I realized it looked like it was directed at you, but it was directed at the people whose attitude was 'let it slide'.

My last comment is that if taking away cell phones will leave kids with no other options than to read behind the teachers back, then it should be upgraded from school policy to national policy.

Nothing personal pal, you make valid points, I just can't agree with them all.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, in my day we used a rock and chisel [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This discussion has gotten to the point where all parties are restating their points, and neither side is going to agree with the other.

Sorry about the "damn the man" comment. After I reread my post, I realized it looked like it was directed at you, but it was directed at the people whose attitude was 'let it slide'.

My last comment is that if taking away cell phones will leave kids with no other options than to read behind the teachers back, then it should be upgraded from school policy to national policy.

Nothing personal pal, you make valid points, I just can't agree with them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, my post probably looks harsher than it should. I had a pretty frustrating night. I didn't think you were singling me out either.

I agree that nothing new is being said, so I'll keep my neck out of this post. Again, I think most of us are in agreement about the basic core, we just think different measures are more effective.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wtf possible reason do you need for a phone at school, I don't remember anyone ever having a valid reason for it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I brought my cell phone to high school because I would often go to work or some friend's house after school

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These reasons are retarted, do you know that kids went to other peoples houses or work before mobile phones were invented.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know that people went to bars/called clients/did whatever you do with cell phones before they were invented? Of course I know that. I didn't use my phone in class and it was always on silent. My cell phone has NEVER rang during a presentation/class/whatever in my life, it's not hard to do either. You guys are all being retarded acting like a kid bringing a phone to school is 100% retarded and inexcusable. Of course I could use the school's phone or a payphone or the phone at my job or a friends phone or a god damn smoke signal. But it's a hell of a lot easier to just have a cell phone and not be a dick with it.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evan,

"There are plenty of legit reasons for that and I did it all the time."

I'd like to hear some of these and your after-school plans don't qualify in the least. Whether or not its a "big deal" to use a cell during lunch or whatever goes back to the common sense thing, but there's no denying that if they make a "no cells" rule, using it to tell your parents you're going over to Kevin's house after school doesn't really exempt you from following the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wtf? I didn't say it made him exempt from any rules. Come on man, there's a big difference between breaking rules being a douche, like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you included that link.

[/ QUOTE ]
He broke a rule but was not a douche. It was an example of the sentence that it ended.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wtf possible reason do you need for a phone at school, I don't remember anyone ever having a valid reason for it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I brought my cell phone to high school because I would often go to work or some friend's house after school

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These reasons are retarted, do you know that kids went to other peoples houses or work before mobile phones were invented.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know that people went to bars/called clients/did whatever you do with cell phones before they were invented? Of course I know that. I didn't use my phone in class and it was always on silent. My cell phone has NEVER rang during a presentation/class/whatever in my life, it's not hard to do either. You guys are all being retarded acting like a kid bringing a phone to school is 100% retarded and inexcusable. Of course I could use the school's phone or a payphone or the phone at my job or a friends phone or a god damn smoke signal. But it's a hell of a lot easier to just have a cell phone and not be a dick with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much right on. I'd like to know who has a problem with this and how they possibly could.