Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 06:22 PM

Default .5/1 Stud:Two Pair

<---Stud newbie, so all comments welcome.

What's the verdict here?

3rd: Is it ok to call a raise after I bring it in with a small pair and an overcard to the raiser?

4th: Do we lead here? Check-raise? I was trying to disguise my hand strength until 5th with the Check-Call

6th and 7th: I'm a bit lost

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.40 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.40 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

River - (11.40 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (13.40 BB)
Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: .5/1 Stud:Two Pair

I think this would be a great spot to c/r 4th and then c/r any non-diamond on 5th to rep. the flush draw and disguise your hand.

As played I guess just call 6th and 7th? I'm not sure about 3-betting 6th but this low you might be able to profitably...

-ChipsAhoya
Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM

Calling third is fine. 7CS4AP has you play small pair/Ace kicker for a raise in a lot of instances. In the games that they're talking about, there's a decent chance that the raiser doesn't have what he's representing, and there's a significant ante. Neither of these apply in this case. Micro-limit players generally have what they are representing, and with the dead cards, this guy probably isn't "mixing it up" with a drawing hand. Having the third player in isn't that great. When playing a small pair/over-card kicker against a probable big pair, one of your ways to win is by backing into a small two pair which beats the unimproved big pair. With the third man in, you're a lot less likely to win by catching two Sixes. I do like a call here because you're half-in and the Nine is unlikely to raise. With a smaller bring-in, your pot odds are much less attractive and that might swing this to a fold.

I favor a check-raise on fourth to try to get the third man out. Waiting until fifth is OK, I s'pose.

When the other guy raises on sixth, he's saying he has Aces-up beaten, and he probably does. Either that or he's goofy, which is certainly possible at $.50/1.00. The pot's plenty big enough that you should call down against an unknown. I wouldn't put in another raise unless the guy was a known loon.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM

Pretty much with Andy here. I think he does have QQTT a whole lot of the time, but probably not quite enough to threebet him on sixth. No question you should call down.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 AM

I would just bet on 4th street - you caught a scary card, your opponents expect you to bet and the hand plays better if you do so. Heck, the QJ just might raise WAY behind in an effort to get it heads up. Plus, since you caught a scare card, there is some danger it will be checked through on 4th - if you do check bc you are fairly sure he will bet, then definitely checkraise and hope to tie him on to the end when he's likely drawing slim.

As played, 6th and 7th are fine.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM

I would also just bet out on 4th.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Would re-raising on 3rd be bad? I think there's a reasonable chance it will get us heads up, likely in position on 4th (and 5 of 8 cards we could catch to make us act first would be good for us anyway) against a guy who's hand isn't totally live?

Or does the this-is-a-micro-so-he-probably-really-has-a-big-pair factor mean raising here is bad?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:24 PM

I like re-raising third myself and is exactly what i would have done.

however.. given that it is only 3 handed already.. I won't complain too much... cause you can always get creative on the big streets and get a third player out.

Regards,

CJ
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM

3rd I commented on in response to another post.

check-raise 4th or lead out... I absolutely hate check and calling with that 10-9 on the third opponents board.

Since you didn't check-raise 4th... I think you played the hand fine from 5th on...

Regards,

CJ