Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Commuting in Vegas without a car

Venetian is the worst place to get to even with a car. Its just hopeless without one. Go with rental car or possibly look at a place like craigslist for a ride sharing situation.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He'll be there at least a year I think. I hadn't thought about renting a car, but shoot, that is an obvious option. I suck. He doesn't have insurance though after being without a car for a long time, so that wouldn't necessarily be super cheap, but would at least beat a cab fare I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check with his credit card company, they may cover insurance on rentals. If not and there's time it may be worth getting a card that does just for this. Most Gold or better cards cover insurance on rentals. Be aware though they usually only cover up to full size cars. No 4x4's, min-vans or premium/luxury vehicles (no Caddy's and such).
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM

bus. The system is solid. I have never personally experienced it, but I had an ex-gf that had to use it and a close friend. Its convenient as that goes, and has all of the negatives that go along with buses. (break down issues, smelly, customers suck, late for stuff, runs only 12 hours a day etc.etc.)

fyc
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM

the buses are actually ok. I went without a car for a couple of months. the buses do run on time, and fairly often on major streets. (every 15 or 20 minutes) he should be ok busing back and forth to work.

for daily errands, a moped would be ideal.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Nolan did you check out the people riding the bus when you were in Vegas? Not for me my friend. Not for me.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 PM

cab from henderson to the rio was way more than $20 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. renting a car is surprisingly cheap.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nolan did you check out the people riding the bus when you were in Vegas? Not for me my friend. Not for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you man. Of course my bro has spent the last year taking the subway from both Brooklyn and Queens, so he might be a little more conditioned to public transportation.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to *TT*? I hear he rides the bus.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the buses are actually ok. I went without a car for a couple of months. the buses do run on time, and fairly often on major streets. (every 15 or 20 minutes) he should be ok busing back and forth to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you live by chance? That was the other question, just how close do you have to live by a major busline, etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you live by chance? That was the other question, just how close do you have to live by a major busline, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live near UNLV, so I have easy access to 2 major lines. (maryland and trop)
I wouldn't want to live more than a block from a stop. In the summer, the heat gets to you quick!
Also, the farther you get from the strip, the less concentrated the system gets. I doubt there is a whole lot of service in Henderson / Green valley.

Once you get off the strip, the ridership isn't bad. It's mostly seniors, people going to work, and a surprising number of school kids.