Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Chris Bell & Michael Gracz Charged in Poker Bust in NC

They are well known live tournament players. Gracz has a WSOP bracelet and won the Party Poker Million WPT event. Bell has a number of significant cashes including one or more WPT final tables.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are well known live tournament players. Gracz has a WSOP bracelet and won the Party Poker Million WPT event. Bell has a number of significant cashes including one or more WPT final tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't fall for NT's level...
Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Chris Bell will get in more trouble because he is one of the operators of the game. Gracz at most would get charged with a misdemeanor. A lawyer friend of mine told me that Bell could get charged with a felony.

I want to see the list of who was arrested. The article in the local paper said that the players busted came from as far away as Henderson, NV. I'm wondering who the players from Henderson were?

I had heard about the game and was planning to go there sometime in the near future. They say it was a real nice setup, very professional.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 PM

We've had poker busts in Augusta Georgia several times - they come in, take 10-30,000 in cash from the place, charge those that are running the game with a felony, and charge the players with misdemeanor gambling. Felony charges plead to probation, and the players pay $200 or so fine without having to appear in court.

My guess is that NC has similar penalties.

I am an attorney in Augusta and was busted at one of the games. the local news was outside my office the next day, and ran a story with my office sign followed by a picture of the money on the table at the WSOP ME. Just pure comedy from the media. I lost the $1100 or so that I had bought in chips at the table, and they want folks to believe it was a much bigger deal.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:11 PM

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what felony he could be charged with unless he had video poker machines.

Punishment for your class 2 misdemeanors if you have no prior record is up to 30 days in jail but it must be suspended and you can be place on supervised or unsupervised probation (in other words, no record - no jail). If you have five or more priors (and they only count as separate priors if you are convicted on different days, being conficted of five crimes on the same day would only count as one prior conviction) then you can get up to 60 days in jail.

--Zetack
Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 PM

haha, i know that mindy golds chick who is listed as one of the people operating the games on the arrest log. she used to play in a homegame i frequented a few years ago at ecu.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite frankly, I'm not sure what felony he could be charged with unless he had video poker machines.

Punishment for your class 2 misdemeanors if you have no prior record is up to 30 days in jail but it must be suspended and you can be place on supervised or unsupervised probation (in other words, no record - no jail). If you have five or more priors (and they only count as separate priors if you are convicted on different days, being conficted of five crimes on the same day would only count as one prior conviction) then you can get up to 60 days in jail.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what so mind boggling about the time and money spent on breaking up stuff like this. There isn't that much of a penalty for getting caught apparently.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Confiscating 70k sounds like a reason.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Confiscating 70k sounds like a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't they stand to make more money off licensing and taxes if they legalized card rooms?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM

MIKE: Premium hands. You only start with jacks or better split, nines or better wired, three high cards to a flush. If a bet's good enough to call, you're in there raising. Tight but aggressive. That's your style, Professor. Always calculate, think of it as war.