Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Is one month enough to be a winning player at 0.25/0.5 Omaha high?

I play poker for 3.5 years now and almost 3 years poker for a living (mostly holdem nl sng and hu and short handed holdem nl)
I played only a may be 2-3 thousand (=nothing) hands omaha high and omaha hi/lo.

I like to give omaha a try. I try to be a winning player after a month at 0.25/0.5 omaha. Is this expectation realistic if i play 4 hours a day and study also 4 hours a day (, read here, reviewing hands, play with the odds calculator, posting hands etc.).

So what do you think? Am I too optimistic?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Is one month enough to be a winning player at 0.25/0.5 Omaha high?

i was a winning player at $2/1 my first month after playing a few SNG's and reading the PLO chapter in SS, took me 3 months to start reading/posting here, so i dont see why not??
Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM

This sounds good!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM

I've been playing NLHE for a long time. I'm tired of it - and the games have gotten sufficiently tough that it is a grind (I don't feel like I can make easily make 1k+ day playing 2/4 NLHE anymore).

These two things prompted me to start playing PLO. My observation so far is that the PLO games are much, much softer than NLHE games at the same levels. People do amazingly donkish things in PLO all the time with fullish stacks while it is much less common to see extreme full stack donkishness in middle stakes NLHE games these days. I've been playing PLO seriously now for less than 2-weeks and I'm already convinced I have a huge edge in the games I'm playing. Statistically this edge is probably hard to quantify, but I know I'm not getting outplayed much. I'm winning 11.21 PTBB/100 over 4k hands ($5.7k) playing stakes ranging from $0.5/1 PLO to $5/10 PLO and not even running particularly well. I'm convinced that it is possible for a good poker player to be an instant winner in today's PLO games.

Lucky
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 PM

I coach a few guys making the transition from NL to PLO, many of them are winners from the very start.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play 4 hours a day and study also 4 hours a day (, read here, reviewing hands, play with the odds calculator, posting hands etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you study 4 hours a day...impressive... no wonder you are winning! I think I will attempt to do at least an hour, now, after hearing you study for 4 hours lol, and it seems to be working for you!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM

if you been a winning player at nlh, then you would have to be an absolute moron not to start winning rather quickly, if not from the start at plo.

plo in my opinion is a much more straight forward game than nlh. you should have no problems what so ever.

there might be a few things your not aware of in plo, that you'll pick up on quickly, but it still shouldnt stop you from making money in the game from the get go........if your a successful nlh player.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm a moron. It took me a couple of weeks to start winning at 25 PLO, but I didn't read anything about the game
Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing NLHE for a long time. I'm tired of it - and the games have gotten sufficiently tough that it is a grind (I don't feel like I can make easily make 1k+ day playing 2/4 NLHE anymore).

These two things prompted me to start playing PLO. My observation so far is that the PLO games are much, much softer than NLHE games at the same levels. People do amazingly donkish things in PLO all the time with fullish stacks while it is much less common to see extreme full stack donkishness in middle stakes NLHE games these days. I've been playing PLO seriously now for less than 2-weeks and I'm already convinced I have a huge edge in the games I'm playing. Statistically this edge is probably hard to quantify, but I know I'm not getting outplayed much. I'm winning 11.21 PTBB/100 over 4k hands ($5.7k) playing stakes ranging from $0.5/1 PLO to $5/10 PLO and not even running particularly well. I'm convinced that it is possible for a good poker player to be an instant winner in today's PLO games.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

ive had the same experience, i won a lot of money at 25/50 - 200/400 NLHE but got a little bored so i started playing PLO about a week ago, read some books and played maybe 2k hands total before that. jumped into the 25/50 game on stars and was a huge winner from the start, now after 12k hands i run at 12.5 ptbb/100, could be just running good but i dont think so because i get my money in good a lot of the time, while picking up many small/medium sized pots. still making a few mistakes here and then so theres definatly room for improvement.

cliff notes: yes, if you are a very strong NLHE player it should be fairly easy to pick up PLO and be winning right from the start.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 PM

I've played Poker for three months now(play money for 4-5 months before that)and been winning at PLO since I started playing it more or less exclusively 6 weeks ago. Have been pretty much crushing 25PLO and the few shots I've taken at 50PLO have netted 14ptbb/100 over 2k hands.

So if a complete novice poker player can do it (sure I might just be lucky I know) obviously someone with your experience should have no problem.