Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Continuation betting verse checking on the turn

You have KT on the button and are called by BB.

Flop is AK5 rainbow. You bet the flop and are called.

Turn is a blank 7. I've been playing sh mostly lately and my standard line has been to bet against a calling station and to check the turn against someone decent. River line is bet if checked to.

In ring games, my old line in this spot used to be bet all streets until raised. Are there any major differences in checking the turn HU in ring games in these spots (against good players) opposed to sh'd games? Is this line standard for a lot of you in ring games also?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Continuation betting verse checking on the turn

if its HU i bet the turn and check behind on the river.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 AM

I know the check/raise turn is the standard reply in short hand when someone calls the continuation bet on the flop but I think in this case having hit the flop it's important to continue betting for value here.

As snitch says I probably check behind on the river around 70% of the time against good opponents.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the check/raise turn is the standard reply in short hand when someone calls the continuation bet on the flop but I think in this case having hit the flop it's important to continue betting for value here.

As snitch says I probably check behind on the river around 70% of the time against good opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smurph, I dont mean check raising the turn, I mean checking behind and then betting the river if checked to. Reasoning is if BB has an A (mostly sh'd concept) we don't get c/raised on the turn if we bet.

Granted your not going to get c/r'd on the turn by a lone ace from the BB in a standard low limit ring game that often. I'm just interested in when people used this line and against what sort of villians.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 AM

I mix it up and it's all about reads. Against calling stations who I have notes on calling down with gutshots and small pairs I'll bet again. Against better players their call would worry me in this spot. I'll make another bet sometimes, but I'd expect to get check raised a good amount here. Against these players I might rather induce with a check and call their bet on the river. At least that way I get to showdown for the same price. The question is too broad to give any real answers.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 AM

I hope I'm not derailing here. I have a c-bet question with that. I am having huge problems with opponents who will call me down (thus the cbet doesn't work as well) but they are smart enough to bet if they sense weakness on my part. I'm getting nickled and dimed out those small pots. My pfr is 10-12% at 6max and vpip is around 20-22% So I don't think I'm giving away my hand to much, but I do think they are aware of a ragged board that clearly missed me. Thoughts?

Ive been trying to think of ways to counter this:
- c/r flop or turn with some of my hands, is about the only thing that I can think of. This way I make think twice about donking into me if I check behind.
- Let them do the betting on all three streets. (This seems to be only effecive against lagtards) This guys aren't really lagish, but they seem more aware then my previous opponents.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM

Your continuation bets should work better than most as assume you have a tightish image given your stats.

If you are raising PF and the blinds are calling, be more inclined to c-bet when the board is really ragged i.e 7,3,8 and its moderately coordinated (meaning the calling stations are sticking around with the vague hope of a draw). These are the hands where you can win A high.

If the board is Q,9,5 and are called, you seriously have to consider slowing down if you don't have any draws to go with your O/C's.

This may seem obvious but I'm just trying to throw around some ideas. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may seem obvious but I'm just trying to throw around some ideas. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Honestly its still not obvious for me. Doc's post was a real eye opener, and 6-max is magnifying my poor play. I'm trying to squash my obvious plays.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a blank 7. I've been playing sh mostly lately and my standard line has been to bet against a calling station and to check the turn against someone decent. River line is bet if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you mean bet the river if he checks a second time, I do this all the time at 3/6. There's not much value in betting the turn except against people who peel the flop with any2 cards and show down any pair.

This isn't a cbet btw.