Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Default The time you spend on this site

I've been using this site quite heavily for a few years now, and don't really regret it much. It's been hellish fun sometimes, and sometimes just hell (probably at busiest times modding OOT when Astroglide wasn't around was the worst bits). I've made some decent friends I think, and some interesting enemies (that's probably a bit strong) but being thick-skinned and enjoying arguments, even the confrontation and upset has been kinda fun (especially when looked back on, not so much during).

I don't regret any of it.

However, I think that some people actually feel kind of addicted and feel they spend too much time here.

I was wondering, Loungers, how each of you feel about this site? Are you glad you found it, and has it been good or bad overall for you? How would you feel if it disappeared tomorrow?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: The time you spend on this site

I gotta say as a diehard RGP'r (Yes, THAT Tanya) I was always aloof and stuck up about coming on this site. I registered a while ago but only did that to post 1-2 at that time, then went away for a year or two.

So I decided to give it a chance just in the last 2-3 months and have find myself truly enjoying it. I wouldn't say "addicted" but I would say that I enjoy coming on to the site every hour or so (a little break from the work routine) and see what "new and exciting" posts have been added. LOL

T
Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 PM

this place was invaluable when i was first learning to play and when i played a ton...that was like 4/5 years ago...i've met a bunch of posters, including my current roommates here, made some friends, met interesting people, have fun vegas trips etc...now that i don't play i mostly just read during work or when i have nothing to do...the solid threads are usually interesting reads cuz people here are often intelligent and the idiots are easy enough to skip over...do i regret it, definitely not, but i never took it really serious enough to the point where i have enemies or even a well known online persona...i keep it what it is, just a place to read and learn, i have no real investment in the site like some others seem to have...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM

LOL everyone who responds has a custom title... anyway here's a real response from a real noob. Basically 2p2 is for me a refuge. Idiots get ridiculed, which never happens in my day to day life. In some ways this is a truly amazing community... I mean ANYONE can sign up completely anonymously. And yet despite that, the 2p2 community remains to this day not a cesspool or a circle jerk or a joke.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 PM

My day:

Play three tourneys, hit refresh, respond, play three tourneys..... etc.

Sometimes, I buy food or something.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL everyone who responds has a custom title...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

T
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 PM

lately i haven't been on here nearly as much as i used to be and i'm ok with that

back in the day i was here all the time and i'm ok with that too

the best part, i think, is the friendships i've made here that transcend tl;dr
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM

I typically cycle through obsessions of one sort or another, so if it wasn't one thing it would be another. So I can't say I regret spending too much time in any one place, and I fully expect those places to change over time. I do regret that 2+2 often hasn't been what it could be, but then again, you have to balance that against the undeniable fact that it could also be so much worse, and so many places are.

If anything, I regret that my talent for hold-em seems to have a low ceiling. I never really got all that good at it, and I'm used to being able to accomplish things I put my mind to. That was especially surprising to me because I was able to count cards well in blackjack and also did quite well in seven-card stud. I'm better at my worst in 7-stud than I was at my best in hold'em. Oh well. So if there was a disappointing level of pay-off I got from the forums, it was on the poker side, and that blame can't be assigned to the forums themselves.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM

I'm pretty addicted to it; it's the first thing I check in the morning and the last thing I check at night...but I don't regret it..I think all of you are great and I've loved meeting everyone I have in real life, too...

Haven't met any Loungers yet...guess we'll have to rectify that soon, though...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 PM

I use my computer all day at work so I just leave 2+2 open and browse it when I have a few minutes in between patients. My experience on this site has been tremendously rewarding and it is the reason why I have most of my day-to-day friends.

In 2005 I threw a party/tournament here in Vegas where I had a chance to meet some fellow STT players (at the time my practice was new and slow, and I was making more $$ playing sit-n-go's than I was practicing medicine.) It was there that I met:

The Usher
Apathy
Raptor
FieryJustice
Lacky
Unarmed
Jman
iMsoLucky0
Yugo

Through these new friends and at subsequent tournaments I came to know Good2cu, Durrrr, Gavin G, Travistyfund, ZeeJustin, Gigabet, Pineapple, Jacknight21, Bones, Dominic and many others. Before the first tournament the only 2+2er I had met was Daliman.

Now there isn't a week that goes by when I don't see a few of these guys. These are now the people I hang out with when I'm not at work and the ones with whom I go on vacations.

So most of the close friends I now have I have as a result of reading 2+2.

Obviously my poker game hasn't exactly suffered when most of my dinners in Vegas include WPT champions, Bracelet winners, and the biggest on-line winners in the world. My last home game was Apathy, Usher, Durrr, Snaglepuss, Raptor and Zen... a significantly tougher group than any High Stakes Poker show.

I've taught at least 2 people how to play poker who have now been professional players for more than 2 years (for a time that number was a lot higher, but longevity is a bitch in this game.)

If I needed 2 million dollars in cash I'm pretty sure I could get it in less than 24 hours using only text messages.

In 5 years I will probably have at least 3 separate successful business ventures with fellow 2+2ers. This site has shaved at least 10 years off my retirement age. (Which is helpful since the friends I have on this site will likely shave 10 years off my life expectancy via alcohol and prop-betting related health risks)

So, yeah, I'm pretty happy with my time spent on 2+2.

Irieguy