Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Default What about a dealer just looking at mucked cards?

I play in North Centrarl Florida. When NL started in July, a few dealers were looking at preflop and later mucked cards. I thought this was bad because some of those dealers were buddies with some of the players and could pass on important information. I wrote an email anonymously to the card room manager, and for a while the muck reading stopped. Now it has started again.

Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: What about a dealer just looking at mucked cards?

Agree, it's not their job and it slows down play.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM

What's wrong with people? Just ask the dealer in a nice way to stop doing that. That solves the short-term issue.

Long term, just keep following up with the manager and individual dealers as it happens. Help the other players understand in a non-nitty way that this is kind of a bad thing. Appreciate that the dealers might just be curious/bored out of their mind and the actual magnitude of the issue.

If this is some low stakes game, get a life. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

btw, dealers should not be making a habit of this. Especially if they can also play in the same room or communicate with players. On the other hand, how often is it significant that one folds K3o to a raise preflop. It's the stuff one calls with and folds on later streets that is 10x more useful.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with people? Just ask the dealer in a nice way to stop doing that. That solves the short-term issue.

Long term, just keep following up with the manager and individual dealers as it happens. Help the other players understand in a non-nitty way that this is kind of a bad thing. Appreciate that the dealers might just be curious/bored out of their mind and the actual magnitude of the issue.

If this is some low stakes game, get a life. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

btw, dealers should not be making a habit of this. Especially if they can also play in the same room or communicate with players. On the other hand, how often is it significant that one folds K3o to a raise preflop. It's the stuff one calls with and folds on later streets that is 10x more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free information is still free information. No excuses for looking at mucked cards. Period.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Is it the players' job to manage the dealers by speaking directly to them about a significant problem? One at a time? As mentioned in another thread (jkamowitz's "Dealers Commenting on My Play"), speaking directly to the dealers just makes them stop doing that for one player--maybe.

Plus, there is the matter of getting along with the dealers at a small card room.

As for the stakes involved (1/2 NL, $100 max buy-in) let me humbly point out that what is small stakes for advanced, experienced, well bankrolled players might be the next level up the ladder for others. Would it really matter, in principal, if it were just $2-$4 limit?

Finally, as for the information of who is routinely mucking what from which position not being useful, maybe a little imagination is in order.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:50 PM

This is a huge deal and must be put to an end. Im not syaing that there is anything nefarious going on but in some cases a dealer looking at the mucked hands is preparing to stack the deck for the next hand. I have noticed it more so in home and private games and sometimes the dealers aren't technically cheating, they are just trying to create an action game by dealing out alot of paint cards. No need to accuse anyone of anything but let the floor know whats going on and ask them to put a stop to it.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 PM

Just to clarify. Their looking at the players they know hands or their looking at other players cards. I see alot of players show a dealer that they know their hand and that to me is somewhat unneeded. But dont think Ive ever seen a dealer look at a random players mucked cards. That to me is completely unneeded and you would have to address that problem with the dealer and the floor if the problem prosist.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Why do these threads keep popping up when everyone knows the answer already? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
What about a dealer just looking at mucked cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't supposed to do it, just call the floor or go talk to the floor away from the table. Simple solutions.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to obfuscate. Their looking at the players they know hands or their looking at other players cards. I see alot of players show a dealer that they know their hand and that to me is somewhat unneeded. But dont think Ive ever seen a dealer look at a random players mucked cards. That to me is completely unneeded and you would have to address that problem with the dealer and the floor if the problem prosist.

[/ QUOTE ]

What???? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 11:43 PM

I would say something once, maybe twice and continue to be friendly. If the guy keeps it up he'll never see a dime from me and I'll take every chance to explain my behavior to the table. And speak with the manager about it after every down he does it.