Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Set facing river checkraise

[ QUOTE ]

woodguy, with all due respect, this isn't omaha

edit: seriously, I'm increasingly all for bluff shoves in weird places, but this is so thoroughly not one of them

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that I'm the lone voice calling in the woods, so I'm probably wrong......I just don't think is as far fetched as most of you, but he needs to have exactly A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Qx which is not a wide enough range to put anyone on.

I really think that most of the hands a lot of people put him on simply call the river, and don't check the river often after having the turn checked through.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Well, I guess I'm a donkey based on the replies in this thread. (Well actually, I knew that before I read this thread.)

If I decide to bet my set on the river after villain checks on that board, then I'm going with it and I'm not folding. So as played I call.

If my read is that I can't call that check-raise shove, then yes, I'm just checking behind on the river. Yes, I'm losing value to that range of hands worse than mine but which are willing to call a river bet, but is that value really worth the risk of having to fold after a bet?

I've been in this spot a lot: I have a set on a scary board and just check behind. Villain usually flips over a hand that can't call a significant value river bet anyway, or he has a monster.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 AM

You realize that these players with the ace of spades immediately pot the river when they just have ace high in an attempt to just muscle out whatever the hero is holding.

They never get creative, in these spots, in my estimation, with ace high putting together a thought out check/raise.

Thayer is beat here like almost all the time.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM

getting 3:1 here is brutal.. and I think we have to fold, however I think the play should've been to bet less, somewhere around 1400 or so and then snap-call the shove
Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 PM

i cant see anything else he can have here but a flush its such a rediculous line but makes more sense to put him on a flush there than anything else.also on the river we can only put him on a q or a flush when he checks behind do u think he calls a lil over half pot bet here with a Q i think i might bet like 1600 or something.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:55 PM

i think you are beat here against an unknown in a 55 a huge majority of the time, and as it pains me I probably pitch it. pot odds are so good, but they just don't show up with air all that much here.