Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

[ QUOTE ]
after you are sure you're a significant long term winner.

[/ QUOTE ]How can a player be certain he or she is a long term winner? I see posts all the time from players who started with $50, ran it up to several thousand, and then went busto. Some of this was bad BR management, but others are clearly not good players (even I can tell). Is even a years worth of consistent within-bankroll play enough to be certain that a player is a long term winner?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Is it wrong of me to have a hard on for Putin because he's just so incredibly cool and monstrous?

Was Stalin good for Russia?

Favoutite book, film, play and band?

My best mate, the best lawyer in our year, quit Law to become a primary school teacher and is now really happy, although, to be frank, he has lost much of his mental acuity. Would you rather be a happy pig or a discontented Socrate?

As you are level-headed, where do you find your 'buzz' in poker?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:01 PM

I would also be interested in your "poker-life" story.

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and I think it is interesting learning about the past and development process of good players (and teachers). Maybe it's just the fact I'm a history major, but I would like to hear how you got started, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fire away guys. Please note that 2+2 is slow as hell for me right now so answers may take some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus me too, it crawls.....
So my question is, why is 2+2 so damn slow...
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) How did you build your bankroll? What would you have done differently knowing what you know now?

2) I am considering law school. I am hoping to support myself by playing poker while in school, but I hear first year is a hell of a grind will either poker or law studies suffer no matter what? Any tips for balancing the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

1)I built my roll the easy way...ran hot when it counted. Basically, by the time I figured out that I was winning because other people sucked at poker more than me and not because I was good, I had a few thousand dollars already saved up. I also have a talent for running hot every time I get bored with running bad at something and switch games - eg, I broke even for a couple of hundred SNG's once (which was like 2 months for me at the time, lol), switched to multis and instantly started a nice five figure cash streak. I totally recommend you do that.

Seriously...I wouldn't change much myself, but I do wish I had given myself a more solid cash game grounding when I was first coming up. I'm a winner at the softer 5/10 and even 10/20 NL games online, but I still have a handicap vs. HSNL and will for a long time, because my instincts are that of a more cautious SNG/MTT player.

2)Boy, I'm such a wrong person to ask this one...honestly, I *personally* did nothing in law school that was law-related or involved studying, except for about a month during 1L. There is a book out there called "Brush with the Law", about two law students slightly ahead of the poker boom that nonetheless had time for an orgy and a blackjack team respectively. That would be me, minus the orgy and the blackjack. So basically, I wouldn't take my advice for anything law school-related.

That said, if you have a handy supply of outlines, live in a law fraternity (with its own house), and have a girlfriend that you later wind up marrying, I recommend you stop going to class around the second month or so. Oh yeah, and buy E&E for your contract prof; he gives his exams straight out of there so when you open it the night before the final, you'll get your only A of law school. It's really sweet.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Any new updates on how much your Cake poker % is worth? Do you see yourself becoming mostly a NL cash player in 2007? btw it was good to meet you at PCA, I think we have very similar styles, I basically find myself agreeing with every strategy post of yours that I've read.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you regret going to law school? What would you have done if not law? Are you going to quit when you win a big tourney? Would you tell your kids to be lawyers? How similar is/was your life to Mike McDermott from Roudners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't regret going to LS - actually, if nothing else, it's where I learned poker, met my wife, and did exactly what other people do in college, which is live in a frat house and sleep in till 12. Just going off those things, you can probably tell that I loved law school and would happily go back again for another 13 years or so. It's just that I had nothing to do with the whole 'law' and 'school' parts.

What I'd have done without law? I dunno...be miserable in a cubicle somewhere I guess. That's where I'd be *with* the law, though, and probably getting paid more. So, to answer your question, I'm happy that it turns out that people will sit at home and spend thousands of dollars at virtual card lessons, then not pay attention to them.

I'm probably, but not definitely, quitting to play full time/pursue investment opportunities sometime around this summer.

Mike McDermott is hotter than me, but probably also didn't cash in the World Series of Poker, so it roughly evens out.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM

do you have any control/influence at cake poker? coud you be hired as a consultant ala jurollo w/ stars? how often are there $600 average pots at the 5/10NL game?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it wrong for my to hate you when you talk about bad runs, when I know you play less and make more/hour at mtt's than anyone other than Jamie Gold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, keep in mind that because I play less, my bad runs last longer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am putting in serious hours this month and from now on to play cash, though.

[ QUOTE ]
50 sng's played in the last year, over or under?

whats the % breakdown these days on lawyering/playing poker? (ie you ever go get that "real" job?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm proud to say my '06 SNG records break down as follows:
-13 actual NL SNG's
-3 HORSEaments
-2 live SNG's
-4 UB blackjackaments

My goal for this year is to play 13 less SNG's.

Job/poker %...technically, my job (at an immigration non-profit, I've had it for about eight months now) is ~4 hours a day, but except for client interviews I do about 5 minutes of actual work, so, 10/90 or so? Dunno. My goal for this year is for it to be 0/100 Real Soon Now.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 PM

I dropped out of school this past semester, and after living at home for a month have decided I'm going to move back to Dallas. I'll be supporting myself, at least for the first 3-4 months, playing low-limit SNGs at $25-30/hr.

Will I kill myself?

Do you have any advice for the next few months in general for me?