Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community

Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

Ad,

What do you consider decent at chess?
Holla back if you want a game. I'm usually somewhere in the 2100 range (uscf) depending on how tilted I am.

Also would appreciate if you have any general comments regarding good backing deals.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Adanthar,
Don't you think this can apply to people of all ages who come into money quickly through poker ie Chris Moneymaker etc?

I know many people under 22 who have tons of money yet manage it very well. While many of them spend 4 figs at night at a bar on occasion they also have 100's of thousands invested or saved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know what you think about this Adanthar, as I truly don't believe this is accurate. I don't know of many young people 22 or under that really even know what it's like to work to have a roof over you head and food on the table, let alone put much of these winnings into investments. Anyone that goes out and spends four figures at a bar isn't of the mindset to save and invest. I think most are in for a big surprise if/when the poker boom busts.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Chris Moneymaker's an accountant, so regardless of his skill at poker or how much he blew, I would be surprised if he didn't have several hundred thousand saved up for something, plowed into a house, a business...something. This isn't something that a lot of people are thinking about. Don't get me wrong - there are lots of guys out there that have six or even seven figures totally squared away and accounted for - but if online poker shut down tomorrow a lot of people would be busto overnight. I don't think it will (actually I'm certain it won't) and I don't think that we're gonna see a wave of talented 24 year olds declaring bankruptcy, but the fact is, for every individual that's overrated on the pocketfives leaderboard or whatever, there are probably five people that are relying on this month's (and next month's) donkament win to make the April 15'th tax payment because they blew everything from last month on Dom. For that matter, now that people have been scared into paying taxes for the first time, I'm sure April 15'th will wipe entire bankrolls out for hundreds. So wrong.

Also, I was never anywhere near 2100 at chess [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good backing deals...I've taken both 1:1 and 2:1 on individual tournaments, for different reasons. I've also seen all sorts of makeup/no makeup backing deals of various types. In my opinion, and this is *only* my opinion, every situation is different, etc...I would not take *any* long term backing deal for both live and online play, and I also wouldn't take anything requiring makeup. Live is different because the variance is so huge, but if you are also backed for the Internet you can get in too deep very quickly.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker's an accountant, so regardless of his skill at poker or how much he blew, I would be surprised if he didn't have several hundred thousand saved up for something, plowed into a house, a business...something. This isn't something that a lot of people are thinking about. Don't get me wrong - there are lots of guys out there that have six or even seven figures totally squared away and accounted for - but if online poker shut down tomorrow a lot of people would be busto overnight. I don't think it will (actually I'm certain it won't) and I don't think that we're gonna see a wave of talented 24 year olds declaring bankruptcy, but the fact is, for every individual that's overrated on the pocketfives leaderboard or whatever, there are probably five people that are relying on this month's (and next month's) donkament win to make the April 15'th tax payment because they blew everything from last month on Dom. For that matter, now that people have been scared into paying taxes for the first time, I'm sure April 15'th will wipe entire bankrolls out for hundreds. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true about Moneymaker, that was a bad example but a lot of name vegas pros are busto from pit games etc. I agree with what your saying however I feel that upbringing and personallity most influence how a person deals with gaining large sums of poker money. On the other hand gaining life experience should lead to good life/bankroll/money management and a lack of this experience might hinder some younger players.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 AM

not sure why moneymaker comes up. maybe he blew a bunch--divorce probably didn't help. however, he has a large ongoing revenue stream from his endorsements and company, moneymaker gaming.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,

Are there any threads that clicked the light bulb on for you?
What are they?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Once upon a time, there was an SNG pro called Gigabet. Gigabet crushed SNG's...I mean literally crushed them, for ROI's that would be considered 5x unattainable today...and no one knew why. (Well, it turns out a bunch of that was from cheating, but the cheating came long after this story.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to threads about Gigabet cheating? Never saw them first time around...