Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Button steal checkup

Live mid-limit game. You're on the button, and the SB is a tight aggressive pro. He respects your play -- including your ability to lay down and your ability to read hands.

Folded to you, and you raise Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB thinks for a moment and calls. BB folds.

Flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, you bet, and SB check-raises.

What's your line now? What are the benefits of 3-betting here? If you do 3-bet, do you take a free turn card? Do you bet the turn and take a free showdown? What if your 3-bet gets 4-bet? If you just call, are you raising a diamond turn on a semibluff? If you don't improve, are you calling the turn and folding the river? Calling down? How bad is folding the flop?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Button steal checkup

I think just calling the flop and turn is your best action and then revaluate river. Most pros will give up on the river if they respect your play and you have called the turn. Most tight aggressive pros would 3 bet an A preflop but any two suited face cards is the most likely hand here, along with a small pocket pair (22-55).
Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Call, call turn, river depends.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:09 PM

You left out some vital pieces of info:
What kind of player is BB?
Is CCing a standard move by SB in this spot?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you are getting at here, but I don't think it's that important to be honest.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tight aggressive pro -- I don't see how it could be...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I'd probably just call down, occasionally I'd fold the river if I really thought villain was confident.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM

I think you are cooked here most of the time, but you have to call the flop check-raise since you are getting 8:1 with a likely 5-outer plus a BDFD.

If the turn is a blank, I think it's close between calling and folding. I'd just call a diamond turn, and raise if we make trips/two pair. I think semi-bluffing a diamond turn is a mistake since it'd be pretty obvious what we are doing, and SB is only going to fold hands that we beat already (I'm seriously discounting the chance that he has JJ-KK since he didn't 3-bet PF).

If we call a blank turn, I think it's time to fold to a bet on the river - I have a hard time seeing SB firing three barrels against us on this board.

SB's flat-call PF means he's more likely to have a big A rather than a PP, since he'd want to try and get BB out with most PPs. He should know that your range is heavily weighted towards any A when you make the steal raise, just based on combinations alone.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Who is the sb exactly?

Against random tight nobody that plays bad I call and fold turn. Against tough player I do a lot of different things on the flop and turn. However most the good people I play with don't respect my ability to lay down hands.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live mid-limit game. You're on the button, and the SB is a tight aggressive pro. He respects your play -- including your ability to lay down and your ability to read hands.

Folded to you, and you raise Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB thinks for a moment and calls. BB folds.

Flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, you bet, and SB check-raises.

What's your line now? What are the benefits of 3-betting here? If you do 3-bet, do you take a free turn card? Do you bet the turn and take a free showdown? What if your 3-bet gets 4-bet? If you just call, are you raising a diamond turn on a semibluff? If you don't improve, are you calling the turn and folding the river? Calling down? How bad is folding the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

SB is a tight aggressive pro? Only hands he should flat call a single late position raise from the SB are AA and KK. Doesn't look good. Even hands like QJ suited make more from the dead money overlay of the BB than they gain by having a third player.

I call the flop and fold unimproved on turn. If the very same hand had the BB for the opponent I'd 3 bet the flop, take the free turn, and call the river unimproved unless a King or Jack showed up. This is also how I'd play it against a SB who you don't believe uses Stox type preflop strategy.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you are getting at here, but I don't think it's that important to be honest.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tight aggressive pro -- I don't see how it could be...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm asking anything clever here. Villains range could be relatively wide or not wide given these conditions. Some villains who play well postflop will call a wide range here. No need to tell me not to ask.

See what I did there?