[ QUOTE ]
The Mist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-MHO_M6ik

Based of off a Stephen King story

normally I'd write it off as lame horror movie except for this

written and directed by Frank Darabont
Shawshank, The Green Mile, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved the novella when I first read it...but I don't remember the bible-thumping character played by Marcia Gay Harden in the movie...was she in the original story??
Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3:10 to Yuma - very entertaining. Good acting by many, hilariously horrible acting by Luke Wilson. Overall, quite a good movie. Not great in the way Unforgiven is great, but just a solid Western. Definitely worth watching. Also has extensive discussion thread in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ending was strange, but I enjoyed most of this flick. Which one was Luke Wilson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Luke Wilson isn't in the movie, El D is slightly confused - the part of Charlie Prince is played by Ben Foster, in my opinion a totally sick actor (he's also the meth-addicted Nazy from Alpha Dog). (Ben Foster ). To say I wasn't impressed with it would be an understatement - awesome acting gone horribly to waste due to a terrible plot. Saw it with a friend and we were both pissed and wanted to shoot the director.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yeah..Luke Wilson is in the movie. He's one of the "posse" along the railroad tracks

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, he plays the telegrapher at the railroad camp where they're tunneling through the mountain. I didn't think he was hilariously bad. It's a Western. He's playing an archetype--a guy named Zeke. Having been a Zeke in another lifetime, I thought it was a pretty good Zeke.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 AM

Control

Site/trailer
wiki

This film is Anton Corbijn's feature film directorial debut, after becoming well known for making music videos. It tells the story of Ian Curtis, the frontman of seminal band Joy Division.

The cinematography is excellent, and Corbijn deftly creates a dark and hopeless mood that well reflects the band's music. It seems almost like a long music video, and in fact my only significant criticism is that some aspects of the story may not be clear to non-fans. That isn't to say the movie is confusing, in fact it is quite stark and the important themes and meanings are well presented. Still, I would not consider it documentary in the sense that it is enlightening in a historical context.

An interesting note is that the actors themselves play all of the Joy Division songs that appear in the film. The instrumentation is amazing, it's as if previously unknown live sets of incomparable fidelity had been discovered. Sam Riley's vocals don't have the same resonance as Curtis' though, which is by no means disappointing but does serve to remind you there is some level of fiction to this recreation. Still I feel the musical performance gives a pleasing element of cinéma vérité that reinforces the somber mood of the piece.

For any fan it is a must see, and if you are a music or film lover I'd strongly recommend it. To others I'd say take it or leave it, though its willingness not to be simply a history of the band - my earlier criticism - can work in its favour to give it a broader audience if they are willing to disregard a natural curiosity of the actual happenings.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - Wow, I am such a sucker. I was pumped for AVP, but wow, that was pretty much the worst movie ever. At least I didn't see it in a theater. Anyway, saw this preview and somehow managed to get really pumped up, it looks awesome. I am sure it will suck hard, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense to me. The movie was exactly what it looked like in the previews, and maybe better. The action was solid. The set design was good. Lotsa gore, good production value. They didn't get chincy on us with showing the aliens and predators doing a bunch of cool stuff. They involved them in a lot of scenes. Overall, this movie rocked for what it was supposed to be.

edit: I saw another poster say that it was pg-13. Maybe the dvd version I saw was unrated or something, because I remember it being fairly gorey.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Rescue Dawn was only so-so. Jeremy Davies gives a really bad performance. Steve Zahn is good and so is Bale, but the middle act drags and Herzog's direction is getting lazy. Some good stuff there, though. Just don't have high expectations.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Sleuth looks good; it's a suspense/mystery film. Michael Caine, Jude Law, directed by Kenneth Branagh, screenplay by Harold Pinter. Limited US release on Oct 12.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sleuth looks good; it's a suspense/mystery film. Michael Caine, Jude Law, directed by Kenneth Branagh, screenplay by Harold Pinter. Limited US release on Oct 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello, I'm Michael Caine. You may remember me from such films as Sleuth and Sleuth.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:24 PM

Just saw The Kingdom and thought it was very well done. A bit too predictable at times in the relationship between the Americans and the Saudis, but all in all well worth your time.

Very unnerving action sequence towards the end where one of the American team sent to SA is kidnapped and forced to sit for a filmed execution, ala Daniel Pearl, while the other Americans try desperately to find him before he his killed.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Jamie Foxx is not a leading man, however.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Has anybody heard anything about Southland Tales? Here's a link to the trailer. This might be awesome or terrible, either way I think I want to see it.