Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

[ QUOTE ]
its a joke.

You for some reason think Hip Hop Culture=Dog Fights and Strip Clubs which is [censored] stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this was completely true (which it isn't), what makes non-hip-hop culture better? Pretty certain these 'hip-hop' values being discussed in other posts not only happen in other cultures in the U.S., but on a much larger (and accepted) scale.

craig
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if this was completely true (which it isn't), what makes non-hip-hop culture better? Pretty certain these 'hip-hop' values being discussed in other posts not only happen in other cultures in the U.S., but on a much larger (and accepted) scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Last time I was in a strip club it wasn't exactly like a Nelly video in there.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed. Last time I was in a strip club it wasn't exactly like a Nelly video in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget the hip-hop kids in the majority of the school shootings. Those neighborhoods look tough!!

craig
Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Whitlock's whole [censored] is being that cutting edge black guy who [censored] on black people. The fact that he's black doesn't change the fact that he shounds like an out of touch 60 year old white d-bag.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by "hip-hop culture" I mean - guns, violence, drugs, and pointless displays of wealth are cool! Education and being respectful to others is selling out!

[/ QUOTE ]

As an educator, I can see where a lot of the sentiment for "education = selling out." Schools really try to break minorities and make them into nice little white people.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM

A good rebuttal of Whitlock from Dave Zirin. Not about this article specifically, but it might as well be, since Whitlock has said nothing original in it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
by "hip-hop culture" I mean - guns, violence, drugs, and pointless displays of wealth are cool! Education and being respectful to others is selling out!

[/ QUOTE ]

As an educator, I can see where a lot of the sentiment for "education = selling out." Schools really try to break minorities and make them into nice little white people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain please? Sounds interesting. Obviously your experiences in Louisiana will be vastly different than anything I've seen. I'm just curious how education tries to 'whiten' the minorities.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Nothing really earth-shattering in this article - always thought players like Chad Johnson/Larry Johnson were garbage for their team. I don't know if it's because of hip-hop - just more about selfish immature players. Surprised he didn't mention Joey Porter after his gang-style beating of Levi Jones in Vegas.

Sidenote that relates to this article - a quote I saw from Porter describing the Colts and why he doesn't like their style: "They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football. They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you with candy and bring you into their car and lock all the doors. ...They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

Glad the Steelers dumped him.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM

It's a bit off topics, but sure.

It isn't a malicious or even conscious thing on the parts of educators. The cultures are different, but many educators don't realize the extent to how it's different.

The basic idea is that the dominant culture of whites values individualism and competitiveness, while the culture of most minorities (typically Blacks, Hispanics, and American Indians) focus on cooperation. So students from these cultures have to adopt different attitudes every time they step into a classroom. Those that don't are thought of as abnormal. This can lead to lower self-esteem and lower expectations from teachers, which in turn leads to lower performance. Educators are also likely to think something is wrong medically with these types of thoughts, which is a large percentage of black males are in special education.

This also has instructional implications, as the majority of instruction is teacher driven, individual work courses while students from these cultures learn better in student-driven, group-work courses.

For a counterexample, Asian students thrive in this sort of culture.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, you don't see a connection with the ways they choose to act stupid and hip hop culture?

Guns, strip clubs, dog fighting, etc?

Rich athletes acting stupid is not new, rich people do alot of dumb things, but the the specific dumb things these athletes are choosing to do looks like the run down of a good rap video.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yea dog fighting was invented by rappers