Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 AM

Default what specs should I get for my new dell E1705?

Hi, just decided to buy a new laptop, cuz my current dell 5100...only lasts 90min while 4 tabling partypoker, and running PT and PAHUD, so im hoping the new dell inspiron E1705 will solve my problems.
Here are my questions:

1.) Do I need higher than a 1.66 Ghz, if all im using it for is poker (4tabling party, pt, pahud), and basic entertainment?
2.) What is the "Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) [add $39 or $1/month2]
With Bluetooth you can link wirelessly to Bluetooth devices like headphones, mice and more" for? is the normal wireless card good enough?

3) any other specs reccomended?

thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: what specs should I get for my new dell E1705?

Check your PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:52 AM

I just got a new E1505 and i love my Logitech bluetooth mouse. This is suppose to be my 2nd computer but i couldnt help not getting most of the toys.

IaHawk
Old 04-26-2006, 05:12 PM

I just ordered one of these for my daughter.

First of all -- you have to really search on the dell site for the best deal. Depending on which button you push, you can spend $1000 (shipping included) or $1350 for literally the same machine.

As of 5 minutes ago, the best deal I was able to find on this was 34% off. You find it in the Home Section by clicking "Latest Deals", then click the "Notebooks" then click "Deals you won't see in stores", then "Notebook Savings Spotlight" (Dell really hides these things) -- Alternatively, there's another thread here, entitled "dual core processors" or something like that, the first post has a link to this site.

Goodies I ordered --

1. I went with the 1.66 gh dual core processor. Unless you know of a reason to get more, this should be adequate.

2. This promotion comes with a gig of memory. Though 512 megs may be all right for most users, it's cheaper to buy the machine on the promotion with the greater memory.

3. I got Windows Media Center (no additional charge) and bought the Operating System Reinstallation disk.

4. I took the true life monitor, but didn't spring the extra $40 for wide screen svga+.

5. For $13, I added the blue tooth wi-fi card, because the blue tooth mouse is great.

6. I upgraded the graphics card to the 128 meg ATI Mobility -- my daughter's graphic design program needs this.

7. I added the 24 month Virus Protection

8. I got a backpack for carrying.

9. I got the better battery.

This brought the machine in at just over $1000. If you use Dell's Credit facility, they'll give you a $50 rebate and no interest till 2007.

My guess is that this set up should work for anyone but a power user. Super Price.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 PM

DON'T GET INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. They suck, and you can't upgrade to a better card. The X1400 is a decent card, enough for poker, but the geforce 7800 is much better. Get the 9 cell battery and true life wuxga.

The extra processor speed doesn't really up the performance much as in relation to the increase in price, so 1.66 is good. Duo core is well worth it though.

ram is cheaper on newegg, hard disks are cheaper on newegg, dvd burners aren't though, so if you want it, get it now. Request a copy of the OS disks too cuz they don't include them (or didn't for me).

Backpacks or cases are cheaper from other sources than dell as well.