Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Halliburton headquarters to Dubai - what\'s it mean?

[ QUOTE ]
adios,

I would also say it is interesting that a company awarded billions in no-bid contracts decides to bounce the country after the ruling party changes and there are serious talks of investigations into these bids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity what company do you think would be better suited to administer the contracts that KBR administered? Put another way, which one of their competitors would have been better suited, more honest, done a better job ....?

You many find it interesting as well that KBR was awarded government contracts during the Clinton administration.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity what company do you think would be better suited to administer the contracts that KBR administered?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I don't know. They got a no-bid on running the chow line. I can think of quite a few companies that can supply edible food to a large number of people. They got a no-bid on doing laundry. Surely, America has some companies capable of washing clothes and suppling uniforms.

What unique capabilities do you think KBR has? How are they able to magically do this? I can think of very few, minor niche, type skills that only 1 company has a pure monopoly on in this global economy of free enterprise.

As far as better suited, more capable, I think I can come up with quite a few companies on numerous of their contracts. America has a large number of transportation companies for instance. I am not aware of any unique monopoly KBR has on the semi-truck driving business, for example.

[ QUOTE ]
Put another way, which one of their competitors would have been better suited, more honest, done a better job ....?

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as more honest and done a better job? The amount of problems, cheating, and outright theft speaks for itself. Almost any company could have done better.
[ QUOTE ]
You many find it interesting as well that KBR was awarded government contracts during the Clinton administration.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many of those contracts were of a no-bid, cost plus, no time table limits, no delivery schedule, open-ended type contracts? In fact, by the end of the administration, I think they were on a black-list because of their problems in delivery and overbilling.

So yeah, it is interesting that a company with numerous past problems was given carte blanche no-bid contracts by this administration.

Time to put these old false right wing-nut talking points to bed.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity what company do you think would be better suited to administer the contracts that KBR administered?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I don't know. They got a no-bid on running the chow line. I can think of quite a few companies that can supply edible food to a large number of people. They got a no-bid on doing laundry. Surely, America has some companies capable of washing clothes and suppling uniforms.

What unique capabilities do you think KBR has? How are they able to magically do this? I can think of very few, minor niche, type skills that only 1 company has a pure monopoly on in this global economy of free enterprise.

As far as better suited, more capable, I think I can come up with quite a few companies on numerous of their contracts. America has a large number of transportation companies for instance. I am not aware of any unique monopoly KBR has on the semi-truck driving business, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

KBR was prime contractor providing military logistical support. Semi-truck driving would be sub-contracted out. Prime contractors utilize sub-contractors to do their work. There aren't that many companies that have the expertise in being a prime contractor providing logistical military support. Lockheed-Martin would be one other company that I can think of that perhaps has the expertise but I wouldn't think that Lockheed-Martin has much knowledge of oil field restoration as one example.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Put anonother way, which one of their competitors would have been better suited, more honest, done a better job ....?

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as more honest and done a better job? The amount of problems, cheating, and outright theft speaks for itself. Almost any company could have done better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what in particular are you referring to? The government disputes contractor charges on every contract that I'm aware of.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How many of those contracts were of a no-bid, cost plus, no time table limits, no delivery schedule, open-ended type contracts? In fact, by the end of the administration, I think they were on a black-list because of their problems in delivery and overbilling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again which contracts are you referring to?

[ QUOTE ]
So yeah, it is interesting that a company with numerous past problems was given carte blanche no-bid contracts by this administration.

Time to put these old false right wing-nut talking points to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The government lets out sole source contracts often and there is a well defined process for determining the need for sole source contracts and for administering them.

Here's a link to an old Washington Post article discussing the contracts in Iraq and the problem incurred with administering them.

Army to End Expansive, Exclusive Halliburton Deal