Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: 88 as Overs

ew, bet turn is ugly. betting for protection vs 6 outs is ugly. hand is played perfectly fine imo.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:13 PM

More oppinions?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM

You don't need to protect really on this board texture.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ew, bet turn is ugly. betting for protection vs 6 outs is ugly. hand is played perfectly fine imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not 6, it's 10 outs if he is bluffing A, K or Q when he misses. It might even be 14 if he has AJ/KJ/QJ.

This is certainly 1 way to play it, but if you are ever floating in this spot to bluff the turn, you should sometimes be betting in this spot with a hand to even out the play.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM

You definitely should have bet turn. (based one his check),I would put him on two high cards, probably unpaired. You're probably ahead, but real vulnerable. Try to get him out of the hand with a pot sized bet.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:35 PM

The point is, you're certainly not betting for value here. And betting for protection is crap. Betting to mix it up for the times you do float is fine, although I rarely ever see you getting called on the turn unless you're beat.

I'm just saying it's standard to play it the way it was played, and it is certainly not standard to always bet the turn, as that is very spewy IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Regardless of the scarecards that may hit on the river, he only hits 12% of the time on the river. Checking the turn and keeping the pot small allows you to call most river desperation bluffs and gain more value out of the hand as opposed to just taking it down on the turn or getting raised out of the pot.

What are you really trying to accomplish by betting the turn? Do you play to just be content with pots when you are way ahead? or would you like to gain more value out of your hand when you are way ahead? Granted, you're not guaranteed that villain will bluff at you on the river. But I'm not too concerned on giving the villain a free 12% shot. Why? Because at the same time, there is the frequency that the villain has a monster here on the turn and is looking to slowplay and extract more out of you. Your hand has enough showdown equity that you would like to get to showdown cheaply.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the turn bet also depends on whether the villain is capable of bluffing the river w/overs. if he's only capable of betting when he hits one of his overcards, then betting the turn is the right play, IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the turn bet also depends on whether the villain is capable of bluffing the river w/overs. if he's only capable of betting when he hits one of his overcards, then betting the turn is the right play, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed and worded better than my post. If you KNOW he is betting with any overs, hit or miss..then checking the turn and calling the river is best. VS an unkown, I think you can assume that most of the time he will c/f his missed overs on the river, so you should go ahead and protect/charge vs his overs.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checking the turn and calling the river is best. VS an unkown

[/ QUOTE ]

if we're up against an unknown, i think we need to call any river bet if we check the turn, regardless of what it is. hence, i like betting the turn even against an unknown.