Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul\'s racist comments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Back to my concern about your definition of racist. If racism really just means "discrimination based on race," ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Except if you look at my post, you'll clearly see the emphasis on "prejudice based on race" as pertaining to Paul's racist comments, not discrimination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now wait just a damn minute. You got all over my case for disregarding a second definition of the word, but now you're allowed to disregard part of that same definition? Sorry. Your post, regardless of the emphasis, said discrimination or prejudice. If I have to accept everything AHD says, so do you, and according to the definition that YOU wished to use, any discrimination based on race is racism.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

would you call a casting director for a film MLKJr a racist for discriminating in favor of black actors?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wouldn't. Would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

By AHD's definition 2 for "racism" (the one YOU advocated) yes. By the definition *I* was using to defend Paul (that you consider insufficient), no. You can't have it both ways. Either Paul isn't a racist (#1), or the casting director is (#2).
Old 10-15-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike Paul, I don't have an article published crediting me with authorship that asserted racist views..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you've got 1821 posts using a racially charged name.

[ QUOTE ]
you make a completely unfounded and unattributed claim about my username.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your username is not RedBean????? Red is not a racial slur against Native Americans? Bean is not a slur against Mexicans? You don't continue to use the name? What's unfounded here? I mean, I know that goes against your normal tone and the consistently unprejudiced statements you've made for years on this forum, but unapologetically continuing to not condemn use of the name is unacceptable. WE CAN'T LET EVEN ONE ISOLATED INSTANCE OF APPARENT RACIAL INSENSITIVITY GO UNNOTICED!!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:02 PM

RedBean,

Suppose Ron Paul is a racist and hates black people with every bone in his body. As long as these personal views don't interfere with his libertarian political views and the policies he would support, what does it matter? Can you give an example of a position Ron Paul holds that is inconsistent with libertarianism and can be reasonably attributed to racism? If not, why is this even an issue? Do you think that racism should be a disqualifier? How about belief in god? Surely that is 1000x more ludicrous.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By AHD's definition 2 for "racism" (the one YOU advocated) yes. By the definition *I* was using to defend Paul (that you consider insufficient), no. You can't have it both ways. Either Paul isn't a racist (#1), or the casting director is (#2).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it odd that you find a hypothetical casting director to be racist for casting a black actor to play MLK Jr., in the intersts of accuracy and nothing more...

Yet, you staunchly defend Paul as not being a racist despite his defense of the newsletter comments (and likely authorship) that are categorically vile and project a despicable racial prejudice against blacks.

Your perspective on the two situations is unique, to say the least. You serve your prophet well. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By AHD's definition 2 for "racism" (the one YOU advocated) yes. By the definition *I* was using to defend Paul (that you consider insufficient), no. You can't have it both ways. Either Paul isn't a racist (#1), <font color="red">or</font> the casting director is (#2).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it odd that you find a hypothetical casting director to be racist for casting a black actor to play MLK Jr., in the intersts of accuracy and nothing more...

Yet, you staunchly defend Paul as not being a racist despite his defense of the newsletter comments (and likely authorship) that are categorically vile and project a despicable racial prejudice against blacks.

Your perspective on the two situations is unique, to say the least. You serve your prophet well. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should read that again. MY position (def #1) would exonorate BOTH from the accusation of racism.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RedBean,

Suppose Ron Paul is a racist and hates black people with every bone in his body. As long as these personal views don't interfere with his libertarian political views and the policies he would support, what does it matter? Can you give an example of a position Ron Paul holds that is inconsistent with libertarianism and can be reasonably attributed to racism?

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposing it were true, it certianly sheds a different light on his stance against the Civil Rights act, for one.

It has previously been asserted regarding the Civil Rights Act issue that Paul doesn't support anything unless it is explicitly allowed by the Constitution, yet that hasn't always been consistent with his stance and support of other issues.......so it makes one wonder if his steadfast stance on the Civil Rights Act eminates more from his libertarian views....or if in fact it eminates from his racial prejudices and is only justified and excused as being libertarian.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should read that again. MY position (def #1) would exonorate BOTH from the accusation of racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why you insist on only using one explicit definition of racism, and choose to disregard all others.....because for whatever reason, you feel a need to exonerate your prophet.....and in the process, choose to accomplish such by labeling myself and a hypothetical casting director as racists.

Sweet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your username is not RedBean????? Red is not a racial slur against Native Americans? Bean is not a slur against Mexicans? You don't continue to use the name? What's unfounded here? I mean, I know that goes against your normal tone and the consistently unprejudiced statements you've made for years on this forum, but unapologetically continuing to not condemn use of the name is unacceptable. WE CAN'T LET EVEN ONE ISOLATED INSTANCE OF APPARENT RACIAL INSENSITIVITY GO UNNOTICED!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to newsletter published under my name as author in which I expressed racist views against American Indians or Mexicans?

Oh...right. I forgot that you don't think that difference matters. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Link to newsletter published under my name as author in which I expressed racist views against American Indians or Mexicans?

Oh...right. I forgot that you don't think that difference matters. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So just because your "racism" didn't happen in a newsletter it's not comparable?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why you insist on only using one explicit definition of racism, and choose to disregard all others.....because for whatever reason, you feel a need to exonerate your prophet.....and in the process, choose to accomplish such by labeling myself and a hypothetical casting director as racists.

Sweet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Labeling you a racist is to illustrate the ridiculousness of your claims and is purely rhetorical (sorry if that went over your head). Labeling the hypothetical casting director racist requires using YOUR preferred way of defining racism, not mine. If you don't believe the casting director is racist, you have to disregard AHD's defintion 2...which you won't do because for whatever reason, you feel a need to demonize Ron Paul.
Closed Thread