Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:05 PM

Default AA...Hey- I flopped an overpair!!!

readless and blah blah blah.

BB c/r looks suuuppper scarey. But w/ my stack size and the third man still in the pot, can i ever fold here?

Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
BTN: $21.80
SB: $50.2
BB: $59.45
UTG: $59.65
Hero (MP): $55.65
CO: $33.90

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.75, 6 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, CO calls $1.75, BTN folds, SB folds, BB calls $1.25

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($5.5, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, CO calls $5, <font color="red">BB raises to $14.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all in to $53.90
Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: AA...Hey- I flopped an overpair!!!

uberstandard.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM

No! Raise more preflop, your raise is to thin, it's to close to a minraise. Raise more or limp and hope that someone left to act raises you.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No! Raise more preflop, your raise is to thin, it's to close to a minraise. Raise more or limp and hope that someone left to act raises you.

[/ QUOTE ]

when did 3.5 BB become too thin?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Raise $2 preflop. Rest is standard.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:48 PM

I think eigenvalue is a Sklanskyite when it comes to bet sizing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Okay can somebody explain what difference raising to 1.75 and raising to 2 makes here? You're still giving villain implied odds to bust you here, especially when you play it like this and raise AI oop instead of 3 betting when you're way ahead way behind, etc.....but anyways, why "make it 2"? If you're going to raise bigger because you have AA why don't you just make it 6? What good does two do?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 PM

4BB is the 2+2 uNL standard. it is slightly larger that what our opponents bet, and that's good, because each additional BB we put in upfront magnifies the size of the pot on later streets. 3.5 BB -&gt; 7BB -&gt; 14BB + 1/2POT VBET=21BB. 4BB-&gt; 8BB-&gt; 16BB+1/2POT VBET=24BB. The same hand in the same position ends up with ~3BB more in money- and that's significant because our winrates are of the same order. Even if we don't play better than our opponents, making 4BB over their 3.5BB bets nets us a positive winrate, and that is huge.

Because of this effect, some people, including Sklansky, argue that we should bet even more with our really big hands, AA being a prime example. The counter-arguement is that betting this way makes us transparent. Here, I don't think a 4.5BB bet would give too much away, so I'd often bet that amount.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM

You don't think there's a strong chance that the villain that's raising has a set or 2p?

I mean a draw could be raising here (but to 14?), as well as an overpair, and occasionally, A9... but that's less probable.

It could be an air-raise if the opponent is aggressive (and badly so, given the bet sizes)

I guess, I'm just reeling from being repeatedly killed because I was overly aggressive with an overpair... I'd say at least 50% of the time when I'm raised on the flop, I run into two pair or set (Unless the player is an uber fish or overly aggressive. I.E. VIP&gt;60 and/or AF-infinity+A-66%+)
Old 02-10-2007, 05:58 PM

I'm really struggling with this problem myself and 2+2 learned me that I should push in this kind of situations.

But I think it's marginal +EV and a high variance play.

But folding here is -EV because you pass an +EV situations.

Conclusion: Overpairs suck.