Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 AM

Default T6o BB free play blind battle

WPEX $.50/1 6max
Villain, like most WPEX players, tends to be quite aggressive, over playing hands at times.

SB open limps, I call w/T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop (2SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, I call.

Turn (2BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets, I call.

River (4BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, I call.

The reason I am posting this hand is because I am not sure if I should be raising this flop or just calling down with such a tiny pot. I feel there is a very good chance I have the best hand on the flop, and this player could certainly bet the flop and turn w/air, possibly the river as well. Should I raise because I am so vulnerable, or just call down because if he is betting w/air he is potentially making a large mistake in a such a small pot. Any general guidelines in this type of spot?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: T6o BB free play blind battle

Calling down here is good but you have to be willing to commit(which you did)

Raising the flop makes the hand a little easier to play and a little easier to take down the pot without a showdown.

It's a good line.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:50 AM

I'd raise pf. He has crap and he's oop. Time to take his money. Postflop seems fine.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 AM

It looks good to me, against the right kind of opponent I'd raise preflop.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM

i dont like raising the flop here i usually just calldown. sometimes i find a river fold if they bet again on certain boards but its generally best not to try and find them in blind battles vs relative unknowns who are seemingly aggro (most on wpex, thats how they train us i think).

preflop i dont raise a hand this weak, but the play certainly seems valid u have lots of advantages and by raising his open limp in general u magnify them all/ add more.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise pf. He has crap and he's oop. Time to take his money. Postflop seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good if the SB is a deason player and we are talking about .50-1.00 which players RARELY! fold in the SB and I would think your reason for Raising is there is a deason chance SB is folding PF, which I believe is close to NEVER in this spot and you have 106o! I know that does not matter, but in this situtation it does because at this level you are going to be facing a flop and a good chance of aggression post flop.

So, raise PF seems pointless condsidering there is never a fold here and you will need to be etremely aggressive to take it down without a showdown. Well.....just thoughts

GL
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good if the SB is a deason player and we are talking about .50-1.00 which players RARELY! fold in the SB and I would think your reason for Raising is there is a deason chance SB is folding PF, which I believe is close to NEVER in this spot

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the reason I had in mind. Though weak player do it from time to time. Unless villain is significantly looser then most even at .5/1, then he's going to be folding a lot of flops and turns because he doesn't have anything. For example, flop comes one or two high cards and villain misses, calling here isn't just loose; it's suicidal. What if the flop comes a bunch of low cards that miss villain and then the turn comes an A,K,Q that also misses him? Is he calling? I could do more but I think you get the idea.

All of that doesn't even take into account our hand, which is probably very live. A pair of T's and a pair of 6's are both decent pairs. They make a good amount of top and second pairs on the flop. In this situation, we're at least as likely to have villain dominated as he is to have us dominated because most of the things that have us dominated are likely raises pf while most of villian's hands are T and below.

What this all comes down to in essence is that even your worse hands have 35-40% equity HU. Because we're in position and because we'll often have the option to SD for 1.5 BB, we'll come close to realizing that equity. Villain even though he has the better hand is OOP and without the initiative. This means he's going to be folding a lot of better hands on the flop and turn and will not come close to realizing his full equity. In the end, we take down the pot more, get more value on our good hands, and lose less on our bad hands then our opponent. And so we raise.

[ QUOTE ]
and you have 106o! I know that does not matter, but in this situtation it does because at this level you are going to be facing a flop and a good chance of aggression post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

People almost never fold pf at higher limits either and are much more aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]
So, raise PF seems pointless condsidering there is never a fold here and you will need to be etremely aggressive to take it down without a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never considered betting the flop and turn when villain has shown no signs of life and the board is favorable to be an extremely agressive tactic, and that's all that's necessary if you don't hit.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Nice post Leader. Makes perfect sense yet I do it so rarely.

FWIW in this hand villain had 97o and rivered me, albeit with a lot of outs.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Hey Leader thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think i have a deason understanding of the game, but admittedly Blind play is probably my worst. I think i play to weak. Mostly my BB play because my SB play if anything I just fold PF way too much, but if you are weak there I think folding too much is better. Let me know what you think.

Let me know if this is wrong please?

What you are saying is that by raising you are making the optimally play. If that is true how often and what kind of player are you raising when it is a Blind WAR. and if you are willing to raise 106o what is the worst hand you would raise?

If you had raised in this hand and you were donked into what would your line be?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Leader thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think i have a deason understanding of the game, but admittedly Blind play is probably my worst. I think i play to weak. Mostly my BB play because my SB play if anything I just fold PF way too much, but if you are weak there I think folding too much is better. Let me know what you think.

Let me know if this is wrong please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is a version of an argument that's around a lot that I really don't agree with, which is that if you don't play well enough, you should just avoid certain situations. While this is +EV in the short term, it just hurts you in the long run. If you continually avoid a certain situation, you're not going to get any better at playing them. So my advice is to make what you consider to be the right play. If you screw it up later in the hand, review the hand after the session and figure out what the correct play is either though thought or talking to others.

[ QUOTE ]
What you are saying is that by raising you are making the optimally play. If that is true how often and what kind of player are you raising when it is a Blind WAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone that's not extremely loose or extremely unpredictable. Also if they're limp-rr you, you have to tone it back some.

[ QUOTE ]
and if you are willing to raise 106o what is the worst hand you would raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The cards really aren't the issue. If I have to start thinking about what I have, the guy falls into one of the previously mentioned categories.

[ QUOTE ]
If you had raised in this hand and you were donked into what would your line be?

[/ QUOTE ]

On this flop, I'd calldown unless I had some particular reason not to.