Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do."

Doesn't any good job require this anyway? This might be the worst few lines in any poker blog ever. Hes saying I really want to turn around my results, but I don't want to put in the time or the effort to become better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this completely.

No offense to Shannon, I have heard he is quite good, but there are like 4 ppl in the entire world who can really make a living at online MTTs. There just isn't a enough high stakes volume available (and no, I do not think the 20r and 100fo is high stakes). If you could 8 table 215s then yea, itd be a good way to make a living, but you can't and it's just a terrible idea to be a professional MTT player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That people can expect this job to be so much easier than a regular job that you don't have to work hard to stay in business is an unfortunate result of the fact that winning money can be very easy in the short run, along with the fact that online poker was much easier to beat two years ago.

I'm sure Shannon is a good guy and a skilled poker player, but you have to treat this job like a job to be certain of success. This doesn't have to mean adhering to a strict schedule or being a perfect bankroll manager or being a total workhorse, but it does mean you have to work to improve, because other people are. If he doesn't want "to invest more time in this stupid game" than he already is, then he's probably better off doing something else. There's nothing wrong with doing something else, but that something else is sure to include stupid things that aren't fun to do. No free lunch, and all. Playing poker for a living is certainly mentally draining and even physically stressful, and there are plenty of reasons not to do it, but anyone who thinks poker suddenly isn't worth it because it is hard work has run too well to realize that it should be.

I'm not sure how Ansky is defining "making a living" at mtts, but there's no need for high stakes at all - one can make a living wage playing 60/45s or even 20/180s, let alone 22r/$50-$100 freezouts; I highly doubt there are only four people in the world capable of this. I realize he was exaggerating and that cash games are a steadier source of income (and that playing cash games is likely the better decision for the majority of poker players capable of both).
Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
"I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do."

Doesn't any good job require this anyway? This might be the worst few lines in any poker blog ever. Hes saying I really want to turn around my results, but I don't want to put in the time or the effort to become better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the QFT of the thread.

fwiw Shannon was one of my favorite players for awhile when he was on the cardplayer leaderboard and they had a picture of him wearing an FC Barcelona shirt. holllaaa.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cliffsnotes: guy ran good for a year, found out he's not as good as he thought, gives a lot of bad advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM

This thread is exactly why top pros stop contributing to this forum. He may have run hot but he knows things (mtt advice) that he won't pass on because of braindead trolls.

Todd Brunson, Raymer etc used to post advice. JDags joined but just got flamed. Mods should ban the pointless flamers...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cliffsnotes: guy ran good for a year, found out he's not as good as he thought, gives a lot of bad advice

[/ QUOTE ]\

Well said. Hard to respect a complete nobody who pays thousands of dollars to start a website with his name
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]\

Well said. Hard to respect a complete nobody who pays thousands of dollars to start a website with his name

[/ QUOTE ]

ban this troll already.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is exactly why top pros stop contributing to this forum. He may have run hot but he knows things (mtt advice) that he won't pass on because of braindead trolls.

Todd Brunson, Raymer etc used to post advice. JDags joined but just got flamed. Mods should ban the pointless flamers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now here is a great response, these people are DEGRADING THE PRESTIGIOUS STATUS OF THE 2+2 FORUMS, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE SMART [CENSORED] REMARKS, IF YOU'RE A LOSER IRL, LURKING AROUND MAKING POINTLESS COMMENTS DOESN'T CHANGE THAT
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]\

[/ QUOTE ]

This a [censored] joke that no mods EVER step in and police these boards.There is a time to kid around and time to do something postive instead of sitting on you azzzes and doing NOTHING

Its a wonder NO REAL PRO's post here,and most of the posts even in the HS arena are litterd with scams,AIM sceename thefts,money transfers to theives,whatever

2+2 should be embarressed bigtime by the behavior lately of 90% of the posts/threads

A well know pro as Shannon Shorr( even though most of the broken down valice kiddies have NO idea who he is) admits his honest opinions,and the [censored] childish kids who hide behind their computers making comments like this contintue to do so at will

Where is Mason M or David S..or his son and the rest of the BS mod squad running this disgrace of a [censored] webisite?

C'mon guys.....do you just want the 16 yr playground to continue?

How does ANYONE run a business like this.....oh I forgot ....you just worry about selling more books to the idiots who CANT play poker to begin with..lol.

I guess that business model is working is quite well

Stephen Feraca
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM

why has Shannon not replied to this.....I read the blog when it first came out and faintly remember him mentioning quitting a few times earlier in the year.... would be nice to get a lil response from him on here
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
before he moved onto donkaments,shannon was actually a pretty tough full ring 25/50 player

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know anything about the guy but surely anybody who can beat $25/50NL should be able to make much, much more from online cash than online MTT's on an annual basis?

Best of luck with whatever you choose though, i've been there (albeit not with poker) and its a complete mind-[censored] every single day not knowing what you really want to do with yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

as we all know the games are waaaay tougher to beat now (post-UIGEA) than when he may have been successfully beating them. considering he admits himself that he doesn't put much time or effort in to studying to become better, the reason(s) for his current situation isn't hard to figure
out.

online poker has gotten harder to beat and he hasn't stepped up his game. the results speak for themselves.