Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: PDT 2/2 : Why has tipping increased?

Yeah I pretty much always just double the tax. So i guess i actually tip 16.5% or whatev.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I tip 20% because I'm Asian and am trying to undo a stereotype.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Standard was 15%. Big groups of people, and even smaller (6) would go to a restaurant, the wait staff would get short changed for various reasons, and then the restaurant implemented a standard gratuity of 15% for parties more than 6.

Over the years, that percentage has gone up to 18%, even 20%. As that automatic gratuity (which is oxymoronic in itself) percentage increased, so has the idea of what a standard tip should be.

That's my theory.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:56 PM

I think it's as simple as "it's generational". My parents were very frugal, me not so much and my daughter and her husband even less. And I think that's pretty typical.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM

when i grew up the standard for excellent service was 10%. less for less service. some time ago wait staff pushed for 15%. and soon that became the norm and now its like 20% if you fall for the speal.

prices have risen the fastest in the food industry and the percent tip in dollars has outpaced inflation without the need to give a higher percent of the bill. i dont be gruge anyone for wanting more that human nature. in higher end places the wait staff make more than the managers.

i believe that the current generation have less value on money(good) and feel fine about bettering others (good)
Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 PM

dean,

"Diablo, I'd be interested to see how the wages of servers v. the mean wage has altered since you were in college. I'd guess that servers wages have risen less in real terms that the general increase in wealth. This would be my explanation."

That's a big part of what I'm wondering here.

If we look at the following factors:

Restaurant sales
Server fixed wage
Server tip

What is (Server fixed wage)/(Restaurant sales) now vs. 20 years ago?

What is (Server fixed wage + Server tip)/(Restaurant sales) now vs. 20 years ago?

I'm curious if the overall labor cost for restaurants has stayed at the same percentage, of if the restaurants have reduced labor cost as a percentage of expenses by keeping the second number constant, taking advantage of the increase in tips to pay their employees less.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Pyro,

"I'd always understood the traditional amount-to-tip-on as the meal itself"

Yes. People used to talk about "tax + tip" being a certain combined percentage applied to sale. Now most people talk about tip on top of the amount of the bill, which includes tax.

I think that's due to two things - laziness in math and some good work by the tip-receiving community in always talking about it like that, resulting in a couple extra percent coming their way.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM

I think it is very simple: people came to the conclusion that, regardless of percentage, less than a buck is inexcusable, a buck is not really that great and a couple bucks is better. It is a small leap from there to 'what can 2 bucks get you nowadays: not much', so I'll leave 3 or 5. Pretty soon you are routinely tipping in the 20+% range on your low and mid-priced meals in order to leave something you view as substantial and it becomes your standard, even when you are dining at higher end places.

When you could actually buy a beer or something for a buck or 2, that tip seemed OK. When those prices went up, those tips seemed lame.

KJS
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we look at the following factors:

Restaurant sales

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'd be interested in is the percentage of expensive restaurants compared to 20 years ago. I'm 34 so I don't know if it is because I'm getting older and thus am exposed to pricer establishments more often or if they are simply more common.

I think bottle service is a good example. Until 6-7 years ago I had never heard of bottle service. Until 2-3 years ago it was something that was only offered in major cities. Now it seems like any half decent club is pawning off $40 bottles of vodka for $250-350.

If people are spending more then it means they will probably be inclined to tip more as well. Eventually the higher tip percentage starts to spread from the more expensive establishments to the rest.

---------

The increased use of credit might also have been a factor. I hate credit but I believe it is probably easier to over tip with credit than cash.

--------

Frequency of going out has increased over the last few decades. I go out a lot so I tip much better than average. While I wouldn't say I'm friends with the staff you do get a relationship of some kind with them if you see them a few times a month.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Also at least in Canada I think the removal of $1 and $2 bills has led to higher tipping. Nobody wants a pocket full of change so much easier to leave behind coins than bills.