Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

You didn't need to upgrade at all to beat 10.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 AM

I think I've heard this but it doesn't really seem like a positive I dunno, also the puzzles to get the summons were unnecessary because they weren't hard but just tedious and I did one once but like left the room and had to redo it man I hated that. But enough ranting I played them all so I guess I enjoyed them. Also zelda is overrated just because of the water temple level.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 AM

6 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 10

not close imo
Old 11-23-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
umm I guess you mean actually flying right? B/c you could unlock the airship and go to places by selecting them or picking the right coordinates (for the secret places).

Story made a lot of sense not sure what your problem is with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My big problem with the FF10 storyline is that it was for the most part completely linear. What made the stories for 6 and 7 so great was the fact that they had tons of twists, and you never really knew where you had to go next.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Day of the Tentacle is a very fun game, but I didn't know it was actually considered good. Anyone else ever play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually just finished it this week for the first time in like 13 years. It wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be (part of that though was that even after 13 years I remembered so much, so there was barely anything fresh or challenging), but I'm not going to complain about it being on the list. I much prefer Maniac Mansion (its prequel) and look back more fondly upon Sierra's adventure games than Lucasarts'.

FF games I probably say 7>4>1>6>8 of the ones I've played. I'm not as big a fan of 6 as most obviously. I feel like I should rate 8 higher; I came to the end of the game totally underpowered and wound up using FAQs to build up and get key items for about 20+ hours, but it was actually really fun doing that. If I had understood how you're really supposed to use the Junctioning system from the beginning it would have been more enjoyable.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Doom in the high single digits - I wouldn't be surprised to see it anywhere between 7 and 60 in fact, no idea how they'll rank it.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also zelda is overrated just because of the water temple level.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Water Temple is awesome. One of my proudest moments in gaming was after I spent hours on it (as did everybody) and resorted to checking every single accessible room at every water level and was still missing a key. I was ready to finally look at a FAQ since at that point I figured there might be a glitch, but I realized there was one last little place I had to look...and sure enough, there it was.

The bandit's camp was also really well done. My favorite level in any game though is Shifting Sand Land in Mario 64.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FF7 is fine where it is - there are an awful lot of games in existence.

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

...No. People were just about melting their consoles because they played Goldeneye non-stop. you finished GE a week ago? maybe that's why you dont understand how awesome it is.That game pretty much created multiplayer, it easily destroys both Half-Lifes and both Halos. Goldeneye was utterly amazing. Games are ultimately about fun factor and replayability and that's where Goldeneye owns. I know of plenty of people, right now, that still play Goldeneye on a regular basis. The game is simply a top 10 game of all-time.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:12 AM

76. Final Fantasy VII

alright this is unacceptable, i am not reading any further
Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 AM

Recognising Link's Awakening is good. Apart from OoT that is the best Zelda game. Dunno about FF7, never played it and have no interest in doing so, but I've never heard an opinion about it from anyone without either having a huge mancrush on it or saying it's overrated to the point that it sucks. Goldeneye is obv too low. Respect for Mega Man 2, most of those games fly under everyone's radar as there's so many of them, also Wolf3D, the one everyone forgets because of Doom.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, in 1997 EGM released it's top 100 games of all time. Goldeneye was 25 while FFVII was 21. It is very easy to look back at certain games and see what has been improved on them over the years, but for the time these were two games that really impacted future games. I will probably never play a game as much as I played Goldeneye for as long as I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhhh. I think these two games are ranked just fine. If they were as hugely impactful on future games as you imply, they would have cracked the top 10 in that 1997 list.

They are great games that made incremental improvements to already existing concepts. The games that are remembered on top lists are the ones that broke ground with new concepts or reinvented old ones. You are probably overestimating these games' importance because it was in your gaming heyday.