Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Quick question for pro life people.

Edit:
Misread.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should a pregnant woman be allowed to kill herself? (If you don't think anyone should be allowed to kill themselves, pregnant or not, you are crazy, but at least specify that when you say no then. "No. But I am crazy.")

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarify please. Why is it inherent that anyone who thinks people should NOT be allowed to kill themselves must be "crazy?" My own opinions aside, it seems the legal and medical communities in the U.S. agree with each other, that a suicide attempt (unsuccessful, obv) is grounds for immediate loss of freedom. Granted, this is usually temporary, but a psychiatric evaluation is required, and the patient has no say in the matter. They cannot leave AMA (against medical advice) until evaluated by psychiatry. And, more to the point, if they indicate that they *still* intend to off themselves as soon as they are released, the psychiatrist has the discretion to keep them locked up. If the question arises, and said patient demands to be released, Sheriff's department maintains custody until patient is transferred to a lock-down facility.

In other words, according to your post, the legal and medical communities in the US must be crazy, correct?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 PM

No, she should not be allowed to kill herself if it causes the death of another, just like you're not allowed to kill yourself by crashing a car into a school bus.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, according to your post, the legal and medical communities in the US must be crazy, correct?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. Absolutely [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. Absolutely [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Level, apparently?

I bring up this point because your OP made it seem like those pro-lifers who frown on suicide were odd, somehow out of touch with reality. Seems to me the opposite may be true...?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM

I don't really think they are out of touch with reality, but I think we (I and people that are anti-suicide and think the kind of practises you describe in your post are good) disagree on such a fundamental level that I don't imagine anything productive will come from a discussion between us. The "then you are crazy" remark was intended as a witty way of expressing that.