Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: The first time Jerry Seinfeld made me laugh (new)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But now, finally, Jerry got me to laugh today--though I've yet to decide whether I'm laughing with him, or at him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither. He looked like a gigantic tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fine balancing act. On one hand, the interviewer should know something about the interviewee. The fact that Seinfeld was the #1 show on TV is fairly well known and it is shocking that an interviewer didn't know this. It'd be like asking Tom Brady if he's ever played in the Super Bowl.

OTOH, getting too defensive can make you look like a tool.

(Totally OT: a friend of mine was at a mixer for people from technology companies. A guy from Apple introduced himself to her. She responded, "Interesting name. What do they make?")
Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM

He looked like an ass. If he had made fun of Larry, then it would have been funny. Instead he got irate. This is a good example of perfect balancing.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM

The interviewer knew it im sure, when i watched it i viewed it as a question to give background - its better to ask a question you know the answer to (but the audience might not) rather than just make the statement with the interviewee sitting there waiting to be involved.

Jerry took it way too far - to me it came off as "yeah, i might be a nobody now, but i was a somebody at one point".

Also, Seinfeld definately went downhill when Larry David stopped writing for it - Jerry's input to its greatness has to be examined within this context.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But now, finally, Jerry got me to laugh today--though I've yet to decide whether I'm laughing with him, or at him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither. He looked like a gigantic tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fine balancing act. On one hand, the interviewer should know something about the interviewee. The fact that Seinfeld was the #1 show on TV is fairly well known and it is shocking that an interviewer didn't know this. It'd be like asking Tom Brady if he's ever played in the Super Bowl.

OTOH, getting too defensive can make you look like a tool.

(Totally OT: a friend of mine was at a mixer for people from technology companies. A guy from Apple introduced himself to her. She responded, "Interesting name. What do they make?")

[/ QUOTE ]
If you honestly think Larry King didn't know that, you got levelled hard.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 AM

I'm pretty sure Larry King was just clarifying to the audience so THEY knew that it wasn't canceled...wow seinfeld was an idiot here not a hero.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 AM

What the hell at this thread. (Not so much the OP as the replies.) Of course you were laughing with him. It's 100% obvious that he's trying to be funny here.

It wasn't very funny to me, and I certainly didn't laugh, but not realizing he was joking = [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 AM

the end was awesome
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell at this thread. (Not so much the OP as the replies.) Of course you were laughing with him. It's 100% obvious that he's trying to be funny here.

It wasn't very funny to me, and I certainly didn't laugh, but not realizing he was joking = [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also interpreted the clip as him trying to take a joke a little too far and not really giving up on it or knowing where to go with it.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Larry King was just clarifying to the audience so THEY knew that it wasn't canceled...wow seinfeld was an idiot here not a hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. King is known for pandering to guests, and he was obviously tossing Seinfeld a big softball so Jerry could show that he went out on top. Instead Jerry shows that his poor little ego was bruised. It reminded me of the recent news item about a no-name NFL player using the same line:

[ QUOTE ]
Receiver Chris Henry allegedly was involved in an altercation with a parking attendant on the eve of rejoining the Cincinnati Bengals from his eight-game suspension.

A parking attendant told police that Henry and another man parked their sport utility vehicle without paying. According to an incident report, the attendant said Henry argued loudly with him and said, "Don't you know who I am?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is the #3 receiver on one of the worst teams in the league, he is coming off an 8 game suspension, and he says "Don't you know who I am?" Now this guy is funny. A lot funnier than Seinfeld.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also interpreted the clip as him trying to take a joke a little too far and not really giving up on it or knowing where to go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same impression of his TV show.