Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Bankroll for full time play

[ QUOTE ]
I have been accused of being a br nit, but I think playing with less than 100 BI is too risky when you rely on the money.

I personally take shots at 75BI for the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, when people say you need 100 BIs, do you actually have $40,000 in your poker account just to play 2-4? Or do you have some of that money in your bank account? I"m always curious how people define "buy-in". Personally I don't like to keep too much money online (for obvious reasons).
Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM

ONE JILLION DOLLARS?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ONE JILLION DOLLARS?

[/ QUOTE ]

no that's too much
Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 PM

My new thing is to have a separate roll for each site, pokerstars and full tilt. which i also draw off to live on.........i only feel like i need roughly 20BI per site for my level, and I also play some MTTs....I have a feeling though as I move up in stakes I'm going to want to have more BI's per site.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you need 4k/month to keep your current level, id suggest youd have at least 20k in your bank account and no less than 100 BIs for whatever limit you are playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the best advice someone has given you so far, although I think 100 BI is excessive here.

I would recommend setting aside living expenses (6months would be ideal, 3 at a minimum I would say). The key is to add to your living expenses account before using the money you win to move up in stakes or to buy extra goodies. If you always keep yourself cushioned for the upcoming months, you won't feel psychologically crushed after losing money with rent coming up.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM

obv 100BIs is gonna cost you if you were good enough to beat nl1k. but then, when you play for a living, i dont think moving up should be your goal.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:03 PM

The fact is if your a good player and are beating the games consistently for 3bb+ there is no reason to play underrolled as you should be winning 40+ buyins every month and be able to move up quite quickly. If you have a normal job and play part time i can deffo understand 20-30 buyins bankroll, but full timers taking shots with 20-30 buyins is pretty ridiculous imo.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM

The main thing is to have 6 months expenses set aside as a contingency fund.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM

The living expenses thing is incredibly important. Start investing your money and moving up when you feel you have an edge, not the second you get enough money for it. 100 buy-ins is also just ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 PM

I'll be bluntly honest, whatever answers I was going to get here I would have played at a minimum $2-$4 NL or PLO. so that means a little over 50 buy-ins for me at present, plus some savings as backup. I do think it's essential now that I put in plenty of hands a week.

A poster earlier derided my suggestion of playing about 6300 hands a week as not enough for a full-time online pro. I didn't think it was that bad but taking on board his criticism I'd be real interested to hear what people would think would be a realistic amount of hands to be playing a week, i.e. I don't intend to be playing poker every hour of the day - I've got a life too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but at the same time I realise I need to put the hours in like any job, so what is a reasonable amount of hands to play a week?