Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: good non-strategy poker books

[ QUOTE ]
I would also suggest How To Win The World Series Of Poker (Or Not) by Pat Walsh

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely the worst book about poker I have ever read. For some reason, I read the whole thing, just hoping it would have some redeeming quality. It didn't, other than unintended humor.

The story is standard: Writer and average poker player dreams of the big game, and figures if he can get a book deal out of it, it will at least pay his WSOP entry fee. Except this guy is not average; he is a really bad poker player, and he doesn't know enough about poker to know that he is bad. (He is barely an average writer.) He plays in a family home game and gets beat by his aunts and uncles and in-laws.

In a memorably pathetic scene at the end, he is playing in the main event, and has managed to make it to the first break. He is out in the hallway getting some food, and his wife is there, and she is explaining to him the strategic errors he made in the game. And she is right.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: good non-strategy poker books

I just read Take Me to the River, by Peter Alson, and thought it was pretty good. Alson was the co-author of the Stu Unger book.