Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Omaha/8 FAQ, Guidelines and Beset\'s Hand Posting Policy

Omaha/8 FAQ and Guidelines

This is going to be a work in progress. Please PM me with suggestions of your own that you would like to see in this FAQ.

1) From the 2+2 website:

- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offense, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.

2) Posts may be regarding Limit Omaha/8, Pot-Limit Omaha/8 and any Omaha/8 tournaments. If you are unsure if your post is regarding a game belonging in this forum, please PM me and I will answer ASAP.

3) Why are limit Omaha/8 and pot-limit Omaha/8 in the same forum?

In the old days of 2+2 there were NO Omaha forums of any kind. We posted Omaha questions and hands in the "other poker" forum. Finally we got an Omaha forum, and eventually Mat even opened a pot-limit Omaha High forum. He feels that is enough for now.

When we have enough posts to warrent separating limit Omaha/8 from pot-limit Omaha/8, I'm sure Mat will communicate with me to say he is ready to open another forum, so that I can tell you.

4) Please form your question in a narrative rather than a hand history, or use one of the converters:

flopturnriver
Neildewhurst
deacons
Pokerhand
Legopoker (for Full Tilt only)

Available free of charge, so that we may better give you advice without having to wade through hard-to-read hand histories. Read Beset's hand posting guidelines before posting hands:

Omaha8 Hand Post Policy - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Very simple guidelines for the benefit of everyone.

a) PLEASE PUT THE LIMIT AND BETTING STRUCTURE (i.e. limit, pot-limit, no-limit) IN THE SUBJECT HEADING.

b) Either use a hand converter, put the hand in a narrative format, or, if you insist on using a raw hand history, atleast clean it up, change the names and use the suit icons to make it more readable. Here is a link to a converter that works for Omaha/8 hands.

c) Include some kind of player reads. Even if it's just "This is my second hand at the table and I have no reads." Or, "Villain has been playing loose preflop but hasn't really gotten out of line postflop." Something.

d) PLEASE PUT THE LIMIT AND BETTING STRUCTURE (i.e. limit, pot-limit, no-limit) IN THE SUBJECT HEADING.

5) How does the Eight or Better low work in O8?

In any high/low game where eight or better is the qualifier, you must have a five-card hand with all five ranks eight or below. For example, if you are playing O8, and you hold A23K in your hand, the board still has to show three cards eight or below for your low to qualifiy (in Omaha you MUST use exactly three board cards and two of your cards). If the board only shows two cards below eight (84QKT) it does not matter that you have three low cards in your hand, you still have NO low.

An easy way for reading your low is to read from the top rank down, instead of the bottom rank up. So if you hold A23K, and the board is 456JQ, your low is: 6542A. If you read your hand as a whole number, you will easily be able to figure out who has the best low (this is applicable in any low game, not just O8). For instance, your 6542A can be turned into: 65,421 (aces always count as both high and low, so they will be assigned a ONE in determining your low). If your opponent has 23QK in his hand, his low is 65,432. Do you see that your "whole number" is lower than his? He can never beat your low with this hand and this board. Reading your low as a whole number will save you much heartache if you are used to counting your low from the bottom up and do not understand when the pot is taken away from you.

6) Why are there no book suggestions in this FAQ?

Mason would rather us not use book suggestions in the FAQ. He feels if we suggest 2+2 books, we are promoting their product and that readers will perhaps not see the value in 2+2 books, feeling they were hyped up because of the forum. If we suggest other books, we tend to lead readers to another website, which may have ads and banners which 2+2 does not endorse, yet might lead readers to believe they do endorse, further complicating things. For suggestions about Omaha/8 books, please do a search of 2+2 first, try Books/Publications second, do a search of the archives third and if all else fails, ask here on the O8 forum. You may also refer to this thread.

7) Some frequently used acronyms are as follows:

PLO8 (pot-limit Omaha Eight or better)
LO8 (limit Omaha Eight or better)
O8 (limit Omaha Eight or better)
EP (early position)
MP (middle position)
LP (late position)
B or But (button)
CO (cut-off)
UTG (under the gun)
BB (big blind or big bet depending on context)
SB (small blind, occasionally small bet depending on context)
AI (all-in)
$100 game, $200 game, etc (usually a pot-limit game where the dollar amount is the maximum buy-in for that game)

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread