Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Default critique this insane diet

i'm fascinated by this website:
http://johnstonefitness.com/
(please don't turn this thread into a discussion about how bad he looks, whether it's fake, etc. i'm just fascinated by the general idea of making a 180 degree transformation...)

he's just finished a "cutting" phase that he started jan 1st. during that time he experimented with several different variations of diet plans. i was looking at one, and when you break it down, it's like this:

- he was eating exactly the same foods every day:
- 6 "meals" per day
* 4 meals of a 6-8oz serving of cod
* 2 meals of 60-75g whey protein

his diet also included two 1.5 cup servings of broccoli, and 2 whole grapefuit each day. since there is basically no fats in any of the above foods, he downed 15 "Udo's Choice Oil Blend Caps" each day.

so in total this diet adds up to:
~1700 calories
* 280g protein (~70%)
* 80g carbs (~20%)
* 24g fat (~10%)

this diet to me seems insane. seriously, would it actually be a healthy thing to do to eat this exact diet for a period of a couple months or more?

(note: i'm taller and out of shape and weigh about 65 lbs more than john stone, but his lean body weight is pretty close to mine at something like 175lbs)
Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: critique this insane diet

I'm no diet expert obv, but it would seem to me that if you had true dedication, and made sure you were getting good healthy carbs and fats with all that protein, you'd be pretty much set. I'd go insane and cheat my ass off if I ate the same thing every day, but that's why I've varied it so much in my own diet plan.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 PM

this looks a little high on the protein and low on fat. For an extreme diet that seems to be good is the get shredded diet by Dr. John Berrardi, i think its on T-nation. I would go with more veggies and a little less protein. It also depends on how big you are now, this would be good for someone about 170 lbs or so, if you are heavier you would want to eat more calories.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM

protein level is fine...his fat level is extremely low though. I would definitely up that through fish oils. carbs really arent even that low either...

PTB is right though..if you want a real "insane" diet..check out the get shredded diet or the velocity diet...both are better than this one.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 PM

I thought the cutting diet was no carbs except for pre/post workout and lots of protein and fat? Like 60/10/30 or something.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Carbs in the morning are also a good thing to get your body going again. But other than that...getting carbs only from vegetables is best. (green vegetables in particular).
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this diet to me seems insane. seriously, would it actually be a healthy thing to do to eat this exact diet for a period of a couple months or more?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the diet is to lower your bodyfat% to a point where you think you <u>look</u> good. The purpose of this diet is <u>not health</u>. This is like asking whether taking a ton of diuretics (another common technique for cutting up) is healthy. Lowering your bodyfat into single digits has nothing to do with health. In fact I'd argue the opposite. It's not hard to get your bodyfat down that low. It is difficult to do w/o some modestly unhealthy techniques.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the diet is to lower your bodyfat% to a point where you think you <u>look</u> good. The purpose of this diet is <u>not health</u>. This is like asking whether taking a ton of diuretics (another common technique for cutting up) is healthy. Lowering your bodyfat into single digits has nothing to do with health. In fact I'd argue the opposite. It's not hard to get your bodyfat down that low. It is difficult to do w/o some modestly unhealthy techniques.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a bit of leeway. I think most people can carry somewhere in 7-9% longterm without being unhealthy if they make it their #1 thing to do. IE if you are a fitness instructor or a male stripper or whatever you want to be. A few drinks on the weekend and some additional physical stressors and a little cortisol in there might increase the need to pump yourself full of crap to manage it.