Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Default $109 mtt near bubble, tough river decision as aggressor

$109 freezout on stars. PLO mtts aren't exactly super popular, so only 27 entries, 3 payouts (something like $500, 800, 1400). I think preflop, flop, and turn are fairly standard. I'm check-folding the turn if he wants to take it, but when he doesn't I'm assuming he doesn't have an ace?

I'm afraid that it's unlikely to go check-check on the river, and I may have the best hand. I honestly felt a bit lost here, and decided to bet out hoping to block a bluff. Thoughts?

BTW villain has like 4000 behind on the river, so I'm basically putting him in. I dunno why I bet just less than all-in, no real reason.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t200/t400
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t6755
CO: t6590
Button: t9155
Hero: t10270
BB: t7730

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t1200</font>, BB calls t800 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1600)</font>.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t2400, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t2400</font>, BB calls t2400 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t4800)</font>.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t7200, 2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t7200, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t3600
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: $109 mtt near bubble, tough river decision as aggressor

If the guy has an ace and nothing but an ace, he isn't betting the turn, but he will likely look you up on the river as it doesn't appear you have an ace either. He may also look you up with KK.
Your best bet is to check call the river as he will bluff at this, but I don't see a better hand than yours folding the river, nor a worse hand than yours calling.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:28 AM

On the river, there are only two good reasons to bet. Either to get value from a worse hand or to get a better hand to fold. I don't think either one applies in this case. Someone with just a ten has to let this go to your bet and an ace is never ever laying this down. It's not even a blocker bet as you're basically putting your opponent all-in.

I think the only reasonable line here is to check/reevaluate. Hopefully something in the bet sizing or timing will give you a clue whether he has it or not. If not, you'll just have to make a best guess, but I'd lean toward a call. Aces up almost have to bet the turn and unless he has specifically A678 or A367, I don't know what unpaired hands he calls the flop with that beat you on the river.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Hi Iggy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Yeah I originally thought my bet was ok, but rethinking it I like check-calling better. I was afraid that if I checked it would be so easy for him to steal the pot, but I didn't really consider the fact that I should probably call if he bets.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 PM

The argument for betting is one of a metagame decision where you want opponents to see you are betting light on the river.