Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Cash-out / Buy-in

Hi,

I was playing a cash game yesterday, and after a while someone got busted and wanted to rebuy. At that moment we had a massive chipleader (about 1/3 of the chips) and he offered the busted guy to buy chips from his stack and just give him the money.

The host didn't allow it, because he thought it's not possible to buy-in through somebody else's stack.

Now a whole discussion came up about that issue, and about cashing out for a part of your stack

So my questions are:

1. Was the host right about not being able to re-buy though somebody's stack.

2. Let's say I tripled up during the game, can I cash-out my winnings an still play with my original buy-in?

THX
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Cash-out / Buy-in

That's called "going south" and is hugely frowned upon.

Effectively the big stack is denying everyone else an opportunity to win their money back.

Personally I wouldn't play in a game where people could cash out parts of their stack, regardless of what way they did it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 AM

id say it depends...
if your home game plays stakes which the players arent really comfortable to rebuy you might allow to cash out until the max buyin is reached, so the scared money players will stay in the game...
personally i prefer no cashouts... its just unfair if someone took a bad beat and isnt able to win all his money back through constantly playin better ...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Can't the big stack keep the cash on the table and have it be in play?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Was the host right about not being able to re-buy though somebody's stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the host was right.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Let's say I tripled up during the game, can I cash-out my winnings an still play with my original buy-in?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is called 'ratholing' and is illegal in cash game poker. Like others have said, if you want to stay in the game, you must give other players a chance to win their money back and you have to take the risk of losing your winnings if you choose to play.

Once therer are a lot of chips on the table and a couple players have big stacks, the easiest way to handle re-buys is to give the re-buyers some bigger chips with which they can get change from the big stacks. All the money must remain on the table (in chips) until the players cash out.

Another way to handle the situation you described above would have been to make the big stack keep the money on the table. I don't like this alternative becuase it's easier to pocket the cash than it is to pocket the chips.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we had a massive chipleader (about 1/3 of the chips) and he offered the busted guy to buy chips from his stack and just give him the money.

The host didn't allow it, because he thought it's not possible to buy-in through somebody else's stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends. Is the game a table stakes rule, or can you rathole? I would hope that ratholing isn't allowed, unless it's a capped buy-in game or it's a limit structure rather than NL.

If it's table stakes, then chips are no different than money as long as they stay on the table and can be in play. So yes, you can "buy" chips from anyone, with the understanding that the cash can't be taken off of the table.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. With tables stakes rule, no you can't. If the group wants to add some ratholing or skimming off of the top, then adding in a "max pot size" rule might be more fair than allowing cash to be removed.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this alternative becuase it's easier to pocket the cash than it is to pocket the chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one reason to require all chips to be converted to cash asap. Personally, I think it's easier to rathole chips than cash (cash is more obvious, you won't be handling it much during normal play).
Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 PM

the host was right, cashing out part of your stack is EXTREMLEY unethical. I'd never play in a game where this was allowed.

Just tell him to keep the cash in play and on the table if you guys run out of chips.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't the big stack keep the cash on the table and have it be in play?

[/ QUOTE ]That's the rule at my home game. You can buy chips from another player but the cash has to stay on the table.

I'm just glad I play with a group that I don't have to worry about ratholing or going south.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:37 PM

There's one game I play where most everybody is playing above his bankroll and everybody owes everybody money. Occasionally they'll get to paying back across the table. I don't really mind, because it keeps the game going, since at that point nobody has any more cash with which to rebuy anyway, and it would make the game shorter and possibly end sooner if it wasn't occasionally allowed. I plan on getting those chips regardless, and it's usually the better players giving chips to the worse, tiltier players. Nothin' like clearing your debt with money that will return to you, eh?

I don't allow it at my own games.

Taking chips or cash off the table entirely is absolutely not allowed at any game.