Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 12-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Trouble with pocket pairs

I have a lot of trouble playing pocket pairs in aggressive games, I mean little pockets. The problem seems to be that you pretty much always have to show down vs aggressive opponents on low or drawy boards due to all the semi/bluffing. This allows them to pick and choose when the bets go in.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP folds, Button folds.

Turn: (3 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Trouble with pocket pairs

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

vs a tag I'm not sure what to do here
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM

:g:

I think the problem is the flop, how a bout check and see intending to check raise an aggro player in LP? You are basically bluffing into 3 people and god knows what they will call with (aces, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s, PP...). In addition the pot is small. As played I think you have to call the river.

[i]Edit, 2nd hand I think you could b/f or c/f turn.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM

First hand: Why are you betting the turn?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM

I think I have the best hand
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I have the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Great job on not even spending the time for the . at the end of the sentence. And you'll have to do a bit better than that. If you think oyu have the best hand on a KJJ2 board, you're most definitely still gonna have the best hand on a KJJ25 board because villain will very unlikely have called two streets with A5.

So try again. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not offended - I just want you to spend some time on actually thinking about what you're trying your actions to achieve. What's the reason for the flop bet, the turn bet and why do you check the river? If you'Re confident that your turn bet is for value - what changes on the river?

Edit: And while we'Re at it: What's this talk about "drawish"ness about with regards to the first hand? Ever seen a dryer board than JJ2? How often does your opponent have a FD and what's he likely gonna do with it?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:49 PM

I guess I wanted to induce a bluff on the river. JJ2r it is not, it is a JJ2 two tone board, which loose types just love to peel &amp; fold the turn ui...fwiw
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Ooops, you edited your post after I replied.

Regarding how often he has a fd, I wouldn't know. Any advice?