Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Panthers vs Seahawks
Panthers 22 64.71%
Seahawks 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: I\'m 6\'3 and 215lbs, what are my chances vs: Mayweather?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
umm havent any of u guys seen the Simpsons episode where Homer fights Drederick Tatum?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but he lost the fight vs. tatum.

I still lol at Homer's theme being "Why Can't we Be Friends"

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but he lasted way more than 45 seconds...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
umm havent any of u guys seen the Simpsons episode where Homer fights Drederick Tatum?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but he lost the fight vs. tatum.

I still lol at Homer's theme being "Why Can't we Be Friends"

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but he lasted way more than 45 seconds...

[/ QUOTE ]

He also went to the moon. We all can't be like Homer.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was 6ft, 230 lbs. benched 250 so i was pretty strong. i was 18, and had no formal training. got into a sparring session at a local gym of just some guy who was an aspiring amatuer. basically just messin around sparring session but this guy was about 5'10 prolly 160 or 170. his speed was so quick i couldnt do anything, he simply beat my ass. i threw some punches but i just ran out of energy. this guy pales in comparison of freakin Mayweather and he destroyed me. im pretty sure you'd last no more than 42 seconds. 10 seconds of you running away, 30 seconds of him pounding you, 2 seconds of you falling to the ground

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably pretty accurate, if Floyd wanted to do it this way. I doubt OP lands a single punch, almost certainly none that slows Floyd down, and if he does, they're no harder than the punches Floyd takes from pros as a matter of course.

Floyd lands one or two punches without half trying, and then when OP is stunned, off balance, and confused, just keeps raining punches on him till even a 100 pound girl could knock him out. This happens almost immediately after the first punch or two lands, because OP is nowhere near agile and experienced enough to avoid Floyd's incredibly accurate punches nor tough enough to take them over and over and over ...

This goes down as a huge and quick humiliation of OP.

The risk to Floyd is high, though, so he only takes it if he's going to the noodle bar and doesn't have enough cash on him for a bowl of ramen, or is coming out of the restroom and realizes he doesn't have $1.25 for the coke machine. This doesn't happen often, but enough to preserve Floyd's reputation as a fighter ready to face any opposition.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 AM

I think OP is betting for De la Hoya against Mayweather in the upcoming fight and is trying to get people to start betting for Mayweather.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM

F=MA

Someone else correctly noted that Floyd's A is way way higher than yours. However, they failed to note that his effective M is higher than yours too. Putting weight behind a punch is actually pretty difficult. It's not intuitive at all. With some basic instruction, you can do it semi-competently on a heavy bag. A bit more, and you can do it on focus mitts. More still, and you can do it in more advanced focus mitt drills. To be able to do it versus a moving target who hits back is the hardest of all though.

Hitting with your mass behind your punch requires excellent muscle memory, footwork, timing, body positioning, etc. Conclusion: Floyd definitely hits a lot harder than OP.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Exactly. Untrained people usually do either arm punches or huge sloppy swings and lunges that leave them completely open and even ready to fall down if they miss. And even if they don't. Keeping your feet under you and mobile while still unleashing anywhere near your potential power is almost out of the question for untrained people.

One of the reasons everybody seems to say these days that "fights always wind up on the ground" is because most people are not trained fighters, and it's all they can do to stay standing. Plus, they're usually scared of standing up and trading punches, and rightfully so.

Learning to punch anywhere near your potential usually takes many years of practice.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 AM

I've read a lot of stupid things, but this is the worst thread ever. OP, you obviously have never, ever, even come close to being hit by someone with any sort of formal training. Mayweather's massive skill advantage would far outweight your minor physical advantage. The fact you have more mass than him is highly irrelevant if you can't put it to use effectively. Mayweather will hit harder AND faster than you could ever dream of doing to him. It's outright absurd that you would mention anything about first round KOs and think that he doesn't have KO power. He's fighting professional boxers. He's not stepping into the ring against some random person off the street. If he did, he'd have a ton of KOs.

You should head down to your local boxing club and get a dose of reality. Try sparring someone close to Mayweather's size and see how well you do.

One other thing. I've been hit by amateur boxers before who weighed significantly less than me and you're grossly underestimating the amount of power that a well-trained punch can have. That isn't even mentioning the difference in your handspeed.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked a friend how i'd do against Mayweather and he said that I'd get destroyed. I'm 6'3, 215lbs and in pretty good shape, probably around 13% body fat. My boxing skills are minimal and i've got a 78'' reach.

What would it take for me to beat him? If I improved my boxing skills moderately, i think I'd have a great shot at beating him. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

How fast can you run? And for how long?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One other thing. I've been hit by amateur boxers before who weighed significantly less than me and you're grossly underestimating the amount of power that a well-trained punch can have. That isn't even mentioning the difference in your handspeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth. I think almost everybody underestimates how hard a good boxer can really hit, and how far above ordinary people and even well trained athletes that really is.

This brings to mind a very highly regarded tae kwon do teacher named Hee Il Cho. His spinning flying kicks were so powerful he could literally split heavy bags in half with them. George Foreman could do that with his FISTS.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 AM

kick him in the shins and hope that you run faster scared than he does angry. That is the chance you have.