Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Wii, 360, or PS3?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But the games you mentioned didn't move the last gen (expensive) PS2 off the shelves and many were also available on both systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

GTA III and Vice City moved way more PS2s than MGS and FF. I'd be surprised if MGS4 stays exclusive to the PS3 for more than a year. And as has been stated numerous times which you have ignored, the creators of FF have all moved on and are creating games for 360. FF games are FF in name only now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ignore it, it's just not pertinant. Do you care that sequels of any game usually don't have the same developers (as in people)? FF has been developed by numerous groups of people through the years and changes w/ each installation. One of the reasons I like it, not a reason to hate on it.

I agree that the big seller for PS2 was GTA 3 (and to a smaller extent GTA: VC), but you cannot deny the fact that MGS has been a big selling franchise since the original PS. So I won't take back that I think MGS will move systems off the shelves. Whether it gets ported eventually is moot since that hasn't been confirmed or disconfirmed. Not to mention Haze which was supposed to be on the 360, but for whatever reason is now a PS3 exclusive.

Really I think it's going to be a new franchise (like GTA and Halo for prev gen) that is going to move PS3's off the shelves and these long series' will help w/ that push.

Also, I'm not rooting against the 360, I'm hoping that the PS3 does well because what it's about is good games and competition gets good games out in the market. Bashing Sony isn't going to make the 360 better, and IMO if the PS3 indeed does fail I think everyone loses (besides Wii owners...)
Old 10-26-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't ignore [that the Final Fantasy developers are now working exclusively on the 360], it's just not pertinant. Do you care that sequels of any game usually don't have the same developers (as in people)? FF has been developed by numerous groups of people through the years and changes w/ each installation. One of the reasons I like it, not a reason to hate on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are just so wrong. ESPECIALLY with the Japanese games, the talent behind the game is directly linked to the game. Final Fantasy was created by Hironobu Sakaguchi and he has worked on every single Final Fantasy game since then, with the exception of Final Fantasy XII which was under the direction of Sakaguchi's preferred creator Yasumi Matsuno (creator of Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, etc) who then also left Square after XII's creation.

Now, you have XIII being created by guys with no major games under their belt - the head guy's experience is primarily in 'event planning' for the older Final Fantasy games, directing FFX-2 under Sakaguchi and eventually exclusively directing Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, a DS game that received poor reviews. Now he's exclusively in charge of FFXIII. This is horrible news for the series, and it will undoubtedly show in the game.

Or you can also take The Metal Gear series, it is virtually ubiquitous with Hideo Kojima's name. If he no longer creates Metal Gear games, there are no more Metal Gear games except in name. Now that Sakaguchi (and even his 'protege') are no longer creating Final Fantasy games, there are no more Final Fantasy games - just a series by the same name.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 PM

MGS3 only sold 3.7 million copies for the PS2 down from 7 million for MGS2. MGS2 was released late 2001, about 1 year after the PS2. Late 2004 MGS3 was released to a much larger population of PS2 owners and it barely managed to put up half the sales numbers of MGS2.

I think you're overestimating it's popularity and certainly its ability to move systems.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And as has been stated numerous times which you have ignored

[/ QUOTE ]

You repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the games you mentioned didn't move the last gen (expensive) PS2 off the shelves and many were also available on both systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last generation Sony had many of those types of games as EXCLUSIVES. It was the place to be for the best games. If you don't think that collection now being on 360 isn't a HUGE coup for Microsoft you are nuts. Last generation Microsoft had the Halo games and then most of the big 3rd party titles started out on PS2 or were to early for Xbox.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what it's about is good games and competition gets good games out in the market. Bashing Sony isn't going to make the 360 better, and IMO if the PS3 indeed does fail I think everyone loses (besides Wii owners...)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a 360 owner, but agree with this.

I was all set to buy a PS3 on launch day, but still don't really see the reason/need to get one yet. I don't see myself ever buying a Wii, as i'm not part of the Nintendo crowd. Very few Nintendo titles excite me.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM

I've owned both a Wii and 360, so would recommend either. Games wise the 360 has a wider range of games, whereas I'd say a lot of the Wii games are more family oriented.

Personally I wouldn't touch the PS3 with a bargepole, purely because I don't agree with paying that much for a console, plus there are no PS3 games I like.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You are just so wrong. ESPECIALLY with the Japanese games, the talent behind the game is directly linked to the game. Final Fantasy was created by Hironobu Sakaguchi and he has worked on every single Final Fantasy game since then, with the exception of Final Fantasy XII which was under the direction of Sakaguchi's preferred creator Yasumi Matsuno (creator of Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, etc) who then also left Square after XII's creation.

Now, you have XIII being created by guys with no major games under their belt - the head guy's experience is primarily in 'event planning' for the older Final Fantasy games, directing FFX-2 under Sakaguchi and eventually exclusively directing Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, a DS game that received poor reviews. Now he's exclusively in charge of FFXIII. This is horrible news for the series, and it will undoubtedly show in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source?

From my research they have developers that have lots of experience: Tetsuya Nomura (FF V-VIII, X, Kindom Hearts), Kazushige Nojima (FF VII, Kingdom Hearts), Eiji Fujii (FF XII), Isamu Kamikokuryo (FF X, XII), w/ the direction of Motomu Toriyama (FF VII, FFX, FF X-2) and main programmer Kazumi Kobayashi (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, FF XI).

Yeah, no major games under their belt...

So again, where's your source to this info, because I don't see any cause for concern. The info you provided is inaccurate, but I'm not going to rampage flame you for it as it happens. Also, while doing my research I saw some really great screenshots. It looks sick.

Source
Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Mass Effect alone should make you want to get a 360. It's going to be an epic.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Gotta be honest here, I think people are bashing the PS3 pretty heavily right now. IMO within the first year of the 360 launching there was very little reason to buy it. PDZ, PGR3, Dead Rising? There weren't many big titles for it. PS3 is doing pretty well considering how expensive it is. Give it some time and I'm sure it will at least start competing with the 360.