Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: NCAA Bowl Thread

Also, I am very excited for Boise State to get destroyed. When this game is 42-0 in the third quarter, I will be passionately rooting for more Oklahome points. You wanna talk about a fraud team...
Old 01-01-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if Wisconsin wins, has the bowl season not shown the SEC to be much tougher????? I'm not sure what you are watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask you the same question. You are saying that even if Wisconsin and OSU win, the SEC has been much better than the Big 10? Not sure how you can make that case if the Big 10 goes 3-0 against the SEC. If Ark comes back and it is 2-1, then the case can be made. At 3-0, it would be a tough sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how they happen, but yes, even at a potential 3-0, the SEC can still be tougher. Michigan is not playing LSU unfortunately, and Auburn was off beating Nebraska while Purdue was getting handled by Maryland.
Lots of play to go still, but to just go based on the W/L of those 3 games is pretty short-sighted viewing.

look at it this way:
Big Ten
1.Ohio State, 8-0
2.Michigan, 7-1
3.Wisconsin, 7-1
4.Penn State, 5-3
5.Purdue, 5-3
6.Minnesota, 3-5
7.Indiana, 3-5
8.Iowa, 2-6
9.Northwestern, 2-6
10.Illinois, 1-7
11.Michigan St, 1-7

SEC
1.Florida, 8-1
2.Arkansas, 7-2
3.LSU, 6-2
4.Auburn, 6-2
5.Tennessee, 5-3
6.Georgia, 4-4
7.Kentucky, 4-4
8.South Carolina, 3-5
9.Alabama, 2-6
10.Ole Miss, 2-6
11.Vanderbilt, 1-7
12.Miss St,1-7

Can you look at those two and tell me the Big10 is tougher? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, but MT2R and others have insisted for months that Wisconsin is a fraud team with no chance of dealing with SEC "speed" and "athleticism." Up 10 at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wisconsin is a fraud team that happened to draw the best matchup possible. Same with Penn St. If it is Penn State-Arkansas and Wisconsin-Tenn, both games are blowouts the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you possibly get away with this type of statement? Penn State was a 4 loss team. Wisconsin beat them 13-3. But if we magically switch the matchups, Tenn is a "blowout" over Wisconsin?

Let's get [censored] serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

who for Wisconsin is going to stop Meachem?

It's about match-ups
Old 01-01-2007, 04:16 PM

How has nobody discussed Iowa, a "fraud team," playing Texas even?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you look at those two and tell me the Big10 is tougher?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not saying the Big 10 has been better than the SEC this year. I just don't think the gap is as large as some think, and if the Big 10 does go 3-0, I think it would prove the gap isn't large.

In addition, we always have to take into account that these are virtual home games for SEC teams. Is it fair that the Big 10 has to play Big 12 teams in Texas, Pac-10 teams in California, and SEC teams in Florida? Doesn't seem fair to me.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How has nobody discussed Iowa, a "fraud team," playing Texas even?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of discussion on this topic already. Emergence of Brodell gave Iowa a game-breaking threat at wideout they lacked throughout the season. Without him, they get pounded as expected.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 PM

If Wisconsin, Michigan, and OSU all win, the big 10 will likely have the 1, 2 and 4 teams, and their 4th best team beat a highly regarded SEC team. I dont care about depth at that point, thats the best conference.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you look at those two and tell me the Big10 is tougher?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not saying the Big 10 has been better than the SEC this year. I just don't think the gap is as large as some think, and if the Big 10 does go 3-0, I think it would prove the gap isn't large.

In addition, we always have to take into account that these are virtual home games for SEC teams. Is it fair that the Big 10 has to play Big 12 teams in Texas, Pac-10 teams in California, and SEC teams in Florida? Doesn't seem fair to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've argued the gap isn't large throughout the year, and I pretty much hate all the conference bitching. I just get upset when I see all the BigEast teams racking up big records is due to a soft conference, but the Big10 teams doing it is a result of great teams.

In one of the playoff v BCS threads, I posted the last 6 or 7 years of sagarin conference ratings. The big conference gap is minimal (less than a score by average team from the top conference to the bottom conference). The ratings for one conference to the next fluctuates greatly from one year to the next.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Wisconsin, Michigan, and OSU all win, the big 10 will likely have the 1, 2 and 4 teams, and their 4th best team beat a highly regarded SEC team. I dont care about depth at that point, thats the best conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

yet, most people believe LSU is better than all three. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM

Great field position. Come on, Arky.