Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Overpair + random draws get raised

First post! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just started playing the table so not any good reads. Villain has been active/aggro pf which probably reflects on his postflop play aswell, no big pots yet thou so I don't know about the latter.

Raise pf with kings and flop pretty good; overpair, 2nd nut flush draw and double bellybuster. Well, you all see what happens.

10.00/20.00 Omaha (PL)

Seat 1: BigBlind (2459.56)
Seat 2: UTG (2491.27)
Seat 3: CutOff (3651.28)
Seat 4: Hero (3750.00)
Seat 5: SmallBlind (4873.54)
SmallBlind puts SB 10.00
BigBlind puts BB 20.00

** Holecards **
Hero [7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

*** Preflop ***
UTG Fold
CutOff Call 20.00
Hero Raise to 90.00
SmallBlind Call 90.00
BigBlind Call 90.00
CutOff Fold

*** Flop(Board): *** : [9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

*** Flop ***
SmallBlind Passa
BigBlind Passa
Hero Bet 240.00
SmallBlind Raise to 1010.00
BigBlind Fold
Hero ?

so, what is the line from here on?

Oh yeah, the site is for swedes only with 200bb max buyin and swedish currency 10/20 ~ $1.5/3.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Overpair + random draws get raised

Hi Nohage - Welcome to the forum.

You have a better than average starting hand, probably the best currently at the table, and you look even better after this flop.

So you bet this flop. But then you get check-raised by SB.

The best hand SB could have, from your perspective, is arguably:
T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. And with that hand SB is about a 4 to 1 favorite.

But SB doesn't need a hand that good to check-raise for value. SB could have a set of tens plus two more or less useless cards, say
T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. With that hand, SB is only a 52 to 48 favorite.

I think people semi-bluff more than they actually bluff in this game. That is, they have something for their bet or raise. SB could only have the nut club draw, in which case Hero would actually be the favorite by about 56 to 44.

So you have to decide whether SB has a monster or is simply betting a hand that is probably close to your own in expected value. I don't know how you make that decision, which for me would be a difficult one. I'd lean towards calling, but I wouldn't like it much.

It's taken me a long time to compose this, and probably by this time someone else has responded with a better answer for you. Nonetheless, I'll post this because maybe my relatively naive point of view will be of benefit to you.

Buzz
Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM

You hit the flop very hard, super standard shove over his raise. You're rarely going to be a huge favorite, but you're almost never going to be much of a dog.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You hit the flop very hard, super standard shove over his raise. You're rarely going to be a huge favorite, but you're almost never going to be much of a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is a shove but we can definitely be a good sized favorite if he just has wrap + FD