Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Default How often do you play connectors?

Let's talk about holdem. In Omaha Hi, a connected hand is very good. But in holdem, a connected hand like 98offsuit isn't so special.

AKoff isn't that bad and 32off is really the pits, but there is the whole spectrum of non-suited connected hands we all get really quite often.

Higher connectors like QJoff can get you into top pair trouble. Lower connectors really have little value.

So how often do you play these offsuit connectors in holdem and in what situations including tourneys, cash, limit and NL?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: How often do you play connectors?

T9o and under- will complete in the small blind, MAYBE call on button if there have been a bunch of limpers.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 AM

as w/most other things in this game, depends on my position.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 AM

Regular 100+BB NL game, 65 through T9 and one gappers 64 through T8 are probably the easiest hands for me to play.

When I'm looking to expand my opening hand range, these work for me better than the trouble hands and sometimes even small pairs.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 AM

Good question!

I'm a very moderate sort of player, so I mostly stay away from unsuited connectors. I couldn't agree more with your analysis. Bigger cards, such as QJ and JT are trouble hands; smaller ones hit so infrequently that they have little value.

In a tourney, I'll pay a bet to play most connectors from the button though, at early levels at least. I guess I'd raise an unopened pot with JT+, and if the blinds are tight, I might take a nibble with T9 and even 98. I think most players overplay QJ, and I tend to chuck it unless I'm in position. Because I play a lot of sngs, I've got into the habit of limping KQ mostly. Probably a habit I should get out of.

In limit, I might complete the small blind with small unsuited connectors, but I chuck them outside the blinds. I might steal with T9, but if the blinds are at all loose, I'm not so keen.

In sitngoes, I generally don't play less than QJ, and I only play that on the button for a single bet early. It becomes a push at high blinds, but I'm never all that happy pushing it. I'll complete with connectors at the low levels, I suppose, particularly if I don't think the opposition is good.

I agree with Gonso that these are easy cards to play in most forms of holdem. I think you can pretty much play fit or fold to the max, and they're rarely going to be that good a fit even. If you're alive to trouble, they're playable. Alive to trouble means that if you play 54 and flop Q54, your hand is a lot weaker than it seems at first look, particularly if you have a crowd along with you. If you then turn a K or T, for instance, your pretty two pair can turn round and bite you.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:19 AM

I only play suited connectors, except in very special circumstances, and still then it depends on the table. And I mean all the way down to 32s. Live they are pure gold. Online they are too, but you a liklihood of seeing cheap flops, or players who like to pay off when you hit your hand.

in a NL game I'd far prefer these to KJ or K10. Connectors rarely lead to a complicated post flop decision.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 AM

The table's looseness and passiveness determine how many and frequently I play these hands.

If the table is weak and loose I limp all kinds of crap like 64s and Q9o when I have position and villains have limped before me. I rather win a decent pot postflop by seeing a cheap flop than than failing to steal the blinds most of the time.

If the table is agressive on the other hand... I'm folding most suited connectors. I play them only from CO and BTN and raise them if I do with the intention to steal.

The bigger offsuit (gap) connectors like JT, KJ, etc I don't play for a pair. Don't get me wrong, I'll stay with a pair if it's cheap, but I expect to be outkicked most of the time if I get any action and will let it go.

I like the pair a lot better if it is my lowest card that hit the pair, because villains like to play connected cards too and with KJ I'm up against QJ or JT more often. While if I pair my king I'm up against AK and KQ most of the time when there's action.